A Peterborough cat had a lucky escape after been caught in a cruel homemade wire neck snare.
Rachael Louise Groarke was shocked when her ginger cat George returned to his home in Figtree Walk, Dogsthorpe last night, Monday June 6, with a tight wire snare wrapped around his neck.
The illegal snares are often lethal to cats, but, miraculously, little George fought so hard he managed to break out of the snare.
RSPCA Inspector Justin Stubbs said: “These snares are illegal, both in their design and placing.
“I cannot imagine anyone doing anything near where George could have been, other than targeting cats. The snare would have been placed near a hole in a fence or hedge that cats are known to use.
“Thankfully, miraculously, George appears to have fought it so hard that the wire snapped. It appears to have been a homemade snare made of soldering wire.
“Had the wire not snapped, George would slowly have been strangled to death.
“I’m appealing for information on who set the snare so that the other pets in the area can be protected from such cruelty.”
The maximum penalties on conviction of placing a snare device are six-months in prison and a fine of up to £20,000.
Anyone with information related to the case can contact RSPCA Inspector Stubbs on 0300 1234 999 and leave a message in confidence, and he will return the call as soon as possible.