Lions and Borough hoping to finish the season in fine style

Peterborough's two English Clubs Championship teams will both be looking to end the season in style on Saturday.

Thursday, 14th April 2016, 1:03 pm
Updated Thursday, 14th April 2016, 1:03 pm
Sam Crooks on his way to the try-line at Lichfield. Picture: Mick Sutterby

Both Borough and the Lions are at home and both are expecting big crowds swelled by pre-match luncheons.

Borough are holding their annual bash for past players, which is always a popular event, while the Lions have a ladies dinner in aid of charity.

And if last Saturday’s results are anything to go by, then both sets of supporters are in for a grand finale.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Borough and the Lions went try-crazy in their penultimate games last weekend.

Borough ran in nine tries as they bashed Biggleswade, the bottom club in Midlands Division Two East (South), 59-5.

Super-fast winger Chris Sansby and strong-running centre Adam Kimber both darted in twice and there were also touchdowns for Tom Williams, John Thompson, Joe Andresen, Blake Heron and Stefan Gallucci.

The Lions were involved in a high-scoring National League Division Three clash at Lichfield and they crossed for eight tries in a 50-35 win.

Sam Crooks bagged a brace and Adam Barnard, Kaz Henderson, Conor Crown, Chris Humphrey, Arturius Balcunius and George Offer also went over.

The Lions opponents on Saturday are mid-table rivals Longton while Borough finish with a game against relegated Leicester Forest.


Oundle came up just short in their bid to clinch a place in the RFU Senior Vase final at Twickenham next month.

In Saturday’s semi-final at Occupation Road they were beaten 31-23 by Yorkshire high-flyers West Leeds, last year’s beaten finalists.

Oundle never recovered from a dreadful opening period which saw them fall 17-0 in arrears after 15 minutes.

It was a deficit which ultimately proved too much to overhaul for Oundle, although a penalty from Craig Tandy and try by Toby Snelling pulled them back to 20-8 at half-time.

The game appeared to be moving further away from them as they slipped to 26-11 behind in the second half.

However, hopes were raised during a 10-minute period when they came right back into the game.

Robb Shingles scored after 65 minutes and Dan Page added another try - converted by Tandy - on 74 minutes to bring them within three points.

But the dream was finally extinguished when a late score by the visitors put them 31-23 in front and on the road to Twickenham.

Despite the disappointment, Oundle head coach Peter Croot remained hugely proud of his men.

He said: “We showed what desire and passion we have.

“This season has been fantastic and we are league and Midlands Vase champions - no-one can take that piece of history away from all the players who have worked so hard.

“I think this side will bring more big games to Occupation Road, and we will go forward on our journey with real confidence next season.”