Warning to gas barbecue owners after fire spreads to golf club building

A warning has gone out to gas barbecue owners after a fire spread to a building at the weekend.

Monday, 25th July 2016, 4:10 pm
Updated Monday, 25th July 2016, 5:13 pm
The scene of the fire in Brampton

A crew from Huntingdon was called to a fire in the open at Brampton Golf Club, Buckden Road, Brampton at 5.09pm on Saturday, July 23.

A fire had broken out involving a gas barbecue that was within close proximity of another gas cylinder and located close to a building.

The fire was extinguished using a hose reel and the cylinders were cooled. The cause of the fire was accidental, by person.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Watch Commander Robert Foreman said: “This fire started because the person responsible for operating the barbecue was unsure how the gas cylinder attached to the appliance.

“This incident had the potential to be a lot worse than it was because another cylinder, which was not being used, was stored very close to the barbecue and could easily have been involved.

“Also, the barbecue was located very close to the club house; the flames were very intense and had started to ignite the window frame and smoke log the club house. “We would urge anyone having a barbecue to make sure a regulator is fitted to the gas cylinder and that it is correctly attached to the appliance before turning the cylinder on and igniting the barbecue.

“Remember also to keep barbecues well away from property and fencing and to never store cylinders underneath the barbecue or close by while using it.”