Wisbech house fire which left baby seriously injured was not suspicious

A house fire in Wisbech which left a baby seriously ill in hospital was started accidentally, an investigation has revealed.

Friday, 18th March 2016, 4:54 pm
Fire crews. Photo: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service

The blaze started in Lime Tree Avenue at about 8.30am on Saturday.

Two adults suffered smoke inhalation and minor injuries and were taken to hospital. A one-year-old child was also taken to the specialist burns unit at Broomsfield Hospital in Chelmsford, Essex, via air ambulance, for specialist treatment with serious injuries.

An investigation by Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has revealed there were no suspicious circumstances behind the blaze - but crews believe smoke alarms were not working in the home.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Earlier this week Station Commander Dave Lynch who attended the scene said: “The fire was well developed in a front bedroom when crews arrived. Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire quickly but the fire destroyed everything in the bedroom and had burnt through the ceiling and floor. There was also significant smoke damage to the rest of the upstairs.

“Although we cannot confirm a cause for the fire yet as the joint fire and police investigation is still continuing, we do not believe the smoke alarms in the house were working. I would encourage everyone to check their own smoke alarms today. Smoke detectors will not prevent a fire from happening but will give you an early warning to a fire so that you can get yourself and your family out safely. We recommend you have a detector on each level of your home and advise you test them once a week.”

For information about smoke alarms at your home, visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk/smoke-alarms-510.aspx