Dementia care home approved
A new care home in Peterborough will help look after the growing number of people with dementia.
Approval was given on Tuesday for the building near Thorpe Wood Golf Course which will house up to 50 people with the condition.
The site had been allocated as employment land but, after two decades without investment, Peterborough City Council’s planning committee said it was right to proceed with the care home which will still provide 40 jobs.
The council predicts that between 2010 and 2021 the number of people aged 85 and over will increase by 52 per cent with a growing number of people with dementia.
The Alzheimer’s Society has reported that there will be one million people with dementia in the UK by 2025.
Councillor Chris Ash, a member on the planning committee, said: “It’s a bit of a blot and this puts it to good use. And with a good design it will fit quite nicely.
Cllr Stuart Martin said: “It’s a shame the site was never taken up for employment use but that looks highly unlikely and the site is probably well situated for this use.”
Cllr Nigel North said: “It seems a very good project. It would have been nice to see some industry in there but there are 40 jobs created and I’m very pleased to see that.”
Cllr Peter Hiller said other companies who might have moved onto the employment land may not have created as many as 40 jobs.
This is the fifth care facility which has been opened by operator Peterborough Care. Director Ajay Marjara said: “This is an exciting time for the company as we continue to invest in the growing needs of our local population.”
The care home could open some time in 2017.