Tis the season to be jolly, is the season of good will to all mankind and of course woman kind - I jest, of course I mean everyone, write columnist Parveen The Spice Queen.
I just love this time of year - I love the fairy lights, the twinkly decorations everywhere but most of all, I love the food!!
Well, that is my passion and my job. So it’s a given that with me, it’s all about the food. However, I must confess even though I am The Spice Queen, I have such a sweet tooth and am quite partial to a bit of Christmas cake, particularly, the mixed fruit, the marzipan and the royal icing on top - so basically, all of it!
I have recently been catering parties; cocktail parties and festive get-togethers and I have been getting creative with my canapés. Yes, of course you can buy the ready-made ones from supermarkets and some are quite tasty, but nothing beats homemade. So, I wanted to share a recipe for a perfect little canapé that is a real crowd pleaser.
My mini tandoori chicken and avocado wraps. I made them last week for a cocktail party and I am making another 150 for a charity event (Anna’s Hope) this week. I am sure they will go down well with everyone.
Give the recipe a try for yourself.
For the recipe for Tandoori Chicken, contact me via www.ParveenTheSpiceQueen.com
Happy Christmas and Happy Cooking.
To make 30 canapés (Prep time: 5 mins Plus 10 mins to make the chicken).
300g cooked tandoori chicken
1 ripe avocado
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
salt and pepper to season
Basically, you are going to make an avocado mayonnaise, which you will spread onto a wrap and fill with sliced chicken.
1. In a bowl, add the mayonnaise and season with a little salt and pepper.
2. Cut the avocado into half and scoop out all the delicate creamy flesh into the bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the avocado and mix it into the mayonnaise.
3. Slice or shred tandoori chicken into the bowl and gently fold together
4. Heat the wrap in a warm frying pan for 20 seconds on each side. Add the delicious chicken filling into the middle of the wrap and fold over, creating a Swiss roll type shape.
5. Cover in kitchen foil, seal tightly and store in the fridge for at least one hour.
6. Now take off the foil and with a sharp knife cut the wrap into 2cm little discs. Place on a beautiful platter, dress with a little salad and cherry tomatoes and serve. You can make these canapés a day in advance and just serve as you need them.
Remember, we eat with our eyes, so decorate your plate with festive colour.