Fire warning after neighbours bonfire spreads to seriously damage home

A home was badly damaged after embers from a neighbours bonfire spread to a garden and house extension.

Monday, 8th August 2016, 10:48 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 8:04 pm
Fire and Rescue news.
Fire and Rescue news.

Crews from Wisbech, March and Long Sutton were called to a shed fire in Gorefield Road, Leverington at 1.31pm yesterday, Sunday August 7.

When crews arrived, they found fencing and a shed measuring 5m by 10m alight, which was affecting a single storey lean-to extension.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels and jets to extinguish the fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Station Commander Stuart Smith said: “Although unfortunately the lean-to and garden were destroyed, crews worked hard to stop the fire from spreading to the extension on the property.

“We believe this fire was caused by embers from a bonfire in a neighbouring garden, being carried by the wind and spreading.

“We would urge residents to take their garden waste to a local waste and recycling centre rather than build bonfires in their gardens. They can spread quickly and easily and can cause great damage.”