Teenager tells of taxi rape bid terror

Have your say

A NIGHT out in Peterborough ended in terror for a teenage girl after a taxi driver tried to rape her, a court heard.

A NIGHT out in Peterborough ended in terror for a teenage girl after a taxi driver tried to rape her, a court heard.Arfhan Qureshi had allegedly ignored requests to drop the girl at her home in Orton Brimbles, Peterborough, before taking her three male friends to a village on the outskirts of the city, Peterborough Crown Court heard.

Once she was on her own, the 22-year-old driver is accused of pulling into a side street and locking the doors of the private hire car before climbing over the front seat and forcing himself on to the 17-year-old.

She eventually managed to reach through to the front of the vehicle to unlock the doors and escape.

She told the jury how she heard the taxi "screech" away as she ran home in tears.

Prosector Nicola Devas said the group of young friends had been in a park opposite the Cherry Tree pub, in Oundle Road, Woodston, but had missed the bus home.

She said they decided to get a taxi shortly before midnight on February 3, last year.

Mrs Devas said: "Having picked them up, he dropped off all of the (the victim's) friends – they were all male – leaving her in the taxi.

"It was at this stage he made sexual advances towards her and attempted to rape her.

"He stopped the car, the doors were locked and he climbed into the back and he assaulted her."

The victim, now 18, giving evidence from behind screens, told the jury of nine women and three men how Qureshi had asked for her phone number on the journey back to her home.

She said that when she refused to give it, he asked: "Why? Don't you go for our type?"

She added: "He was looking at me through the rear view mirror. He said he wanted to sleep with me."

The court heard Qureshi pulled up near to a school before climbing into the back and trying to tug her trousers down.

She said: "I told him to get off me. I was trying to push him away.

"I was really, really scared."

Mrs Devas asked: "What did you think was going to happen to you?"

She replied: "That he was going to rape me."

The girl said she managed to escape from the vehicle and ran off crying before collapsing on to the ground close to her home.

A neighbour found her and walked her home, where her father called the police.

However, the court heard she initially told officers nothing had happened and she had got a bus home.

She said: "I wanted to pretend that I'd got the bus home so it didn't come true. Like it didn't really happen.

"I wanted to believe that."

Qureshi, of Taverners Road, Millfield, Peterborough, claims the girl did not pay the fare and made up the rape attempt allegation after he threatened to call the police.

He denies attempted rape and sexual assault.

The trial continues.