Grandfather given life sentence after murdering daughter’s ex

A grandfather who murdered his daughter’s ex-partner in a “frenzied attack” with two knives has been jailed for life with a minimum tariff of 20 years.

Friday, 30th July 2021, 4:56 pm
Lance Woollard

Lance Woollard, 65, knew 35-year-old Nigel Ebbage would be working from home in Honeysuckle Close, Wimblington, near March, when he visited on the morning of Thursday, April 29.

There he stabbed Mr Ebbage 20 times, leaving his body at the foot of the stairs.

Mr Ebbage’s partner returned home for her lunch at about noon and after making the shocking discovery called police, who arrested Woollard as he drove along the March by-pass at about 1.30pm.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nigel Ebbage

His hands and the steering wheel had blood on them and forensic searches later found one of his fingertips had been sliced off at the crime scene.

The court heard the murder happened just before a court hearing to determine future contact arrangements between Mr Ebbage, Woollard’s daughter and their two children, then living with their mother.

Mr Ebbage had split from the defendant’s daughter in 2016.

Today, Woollard, of Richmond Avenue, March, was jailed at Cambridge Crown Court by Judge Farrell after pleading guilty to murder last month.

Following Nigel’s death, his family said: “We are all devastated and struggling to come to terms with Nigel’s death. He was a family man, he loved his children and family and would do anything for them. He was a fun-loving guy, always cracking a joke. He enjoyed life to the full. He loved the outdoors, especially his kayak.”

Detective Inspector Dale Mepstead said: “Lance Woollard knew Nigel was going to be working alone from home that day and he visited with the intention of murdering him.

“It was a frenzied attack and while Nigel tried to defend himself, the wounds he received to the chest were tragically fatal.

“Nigel’s loss has had a devastating effect on those who knew and loved him and, while nothing will ever heal that grief, I hope the result today will give them some comfort, knowing that justice has been done.”

Woollard refused to answer any questions after his arrest but pleaded guilty on 29 June at Cambridge Crown Court.