Carbon monoxide alarm saves resident

Firefighters are urging homeowners with open fires and fuel burners to ensure they have working carbon monoxide alarms.

Friday, 11th March 2016, 7:00 am
Updated Friday, 11th March 2016, 8:41 am
Fire crews. Photo: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service

The call comes after Fenland fire crews attended an incident in Parson Drove yesterday (Thursday) in which a resident was overcome with fumes owing to an incorrectly fitted multi-fuel burner.

Watch Commander John Chelton, based at Wisbech Fire Station, said: “Luckily this resident heard the alarm go off and eventually called the fire service and left the property. We later found out the alarm had gone off a number of other times since the homeowners fitted the multi-fuel burner at the end of the last year, indicating there was a problem with fumes escaping and potentially putting the lives of the two residents that live in the property at risk.

“We would urge anyone who has a fuel-burning device, like a multi-fuel burner or an open fire, to fit a carbon monoxide alarm. If the alarm ever sounds and you can smell fumes or are concerned, do not hesitate, call 999 immediately and leave the property.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A crew from March and a crew from Wisbech were called to the home in Harolds Bank at 11.36am today. A female resident was out of the property on the arrival of the fire service and was checked over by paramedics after stating she was feeling unwell.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the home and returned to their stations by 1pm.

WC Chelton added: “A carbon monoxide alarm has today saved the life of a resident and had it not been fitted, circumstances could have been very different.

“It is also important to take this opportunity to remind residents to ensure all fuel burners are fitted correctly by a professional and to remember to fit a carbon monoxide alarm at the same time.”