Cambridgeshire fire crews issues chimney fire warning

Cambridgeshire fire fighters have urged people to ensure their chimneys are kept clean - even as the weather warms up.

Friday, 26th March 2021, 3:00 pm

Crews attended a fire in a chimney at a home in Queens Close, Holme last night (Thursday), and are reminding residents to clean their chimney at least once a year.

Firefighters used ladders, chimney rods and small gear to extinguish last night’s fire.

A fire service spokesman said: “Although the weather is starting to warm up, we are still attending chimney fires across the county.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue

“To help prevent a chimney fire in your home, it’s really important that you keep your chimney maintained and get it swept and inspected at least once a year.

“It’s also vitally important that you have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. They will alert you to a fire and give you precious minutes to escape to safety.”

Chimneys should be swept by a competent contractor. To find your nearest local HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep visit: https://www.hetas.co.uk/find-chimney-sweep/