£500 Test and Trace isolation payments now available in Peterborough

Peterborough residents can now apply for the new Test and Trace self-isolation support payment of £500 if they lose income as a result of not being able to work.

By Newsroom
Tuesday, 13th October 2020, 4:31 am
Financial help is available for people forced to  self-isolate.
Financial help is available for people forced to self-isolate.

The government recently announced the new payment aimed at helping make up for any lost income people face due to having to stay at home and self-isolate and tasked local authorities to have this in place by 12 October, with payments backdated to September 28.

You will be eligible for the self-isolation support payment if you meet all the following criteria:

· you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive

· you are employed or self-employed

· you cannot work from home and will lose income as a result

· you are claiming at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credits, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit or Housing Benefit

NHS Test and Trace ID number, bank statement, and proof of employment or self-assessment returns will need to be provided. Payment is sent within 3 working days.

Claims are to be made via local authorities’ webpages:

Huntingdonshire: www.huntingdonshire.gov.uk/testandtracesupport

Fenland: www.fenland.gov.uk/testandtracepayment

Cambridge: www.cambridge.gov.uk/coronavirus-financial-support-for-residents

East Cambs: www.eastcambs.gov.uk/content/test-and-trace-support-payment

Dr Liz Robin, Director of Public Health for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough said: “We need to continue to do all we can to control the spread of the virus. Self-isolation is one of the most powerful tools for controlling the transmission of Covid-19, and this new Test and Trace Support payment will ensure individuals on a low income will be able to claim a £500 lump sum payment if they cannot work from home and are required to self-isolate.

“We know that some people don’t feel they are financially able to self-isolate or may not be eligible. Cambridgeshire local authorities can help with support as well as help with individual needs to self-isolate, so please do not struggle and telephone your local council whose numbers are on the webpages listed to seek support.”

You will not be eligible if you have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate, continue to receive your full wages or are furloughed, can work from home during a period of self-isolation, your period of self-isolation started before the scheme launched on 28 September, or you are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive).

This financial support comes as the government places a legal requirement on people to self-isolate when instructed to by NHS Test and Trace and introduces tougher fines for breaking the rules. You could be fined if you do not stay at home and self-isolate following a positive test result for COVID-19, or if you are contacted by NHS Test and Trace and instructed to self-isolate because you are a contact of someone who has had a positive test result. If you test positive for COVID-19, it will also be an offence to knowingly provide false information about your close contacts to NHS Test and Trace. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in a fine.