Warning issued after chimney catches fire near Peterborough

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service have issued an appeal after a chimney caught fire at a house near Peterborough.

By Ben Jones
Monday, 10th January 2022, 12:13 pm

On Thursday (January 6), two crews from Peterborough were called out to a fire at a house on Main Street, Ailsworth.

The blaze began inside the chimney of the house and firefighters had to use chimney rods and buckets to extinguish it.

A fire service spokesperson said: ““Please ensure that you get your chimney swept and brick work inspected at least once a year, preferably before lighting it when the cold weather arrives. The build-up of debris can lead to a fire spreading from the chimney flue to the rest of a house. Getting your chimney swept regularly will help to prevent a chimney fire and keep your home safe.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

“On Thursday at 3.31pm a crew from Dogsthorpe, a crew from Stanground and the turntable ladder were called to a chimney fire on Main Street, Ailsworth.

“Firefighters used chimney rods and buckets to extinguish the fire.

“The cause of the fire was accidental.

“Crews returned to their stations by 5.30pm.”