Residents urged to keep chimneys clean after firefighters called to Peterborough home

Residents are being urged to ensure their chimneys are kept clean after firefighters were called to a Peterborough home.

Thursday, 8th April 2021, 4:36 pm

At 8.06pm on Wednesday (7) a crew from Stanground was called to a fire on Brawn Way in Elton.

Firefighters arrived to find a fire in the flue of a log burner spreading through the chimney. They extinguished the fire and returned to their station by 9.15pm.

A fire service spokesman said: “Although Spring is here and the weather is starting to warm up, there are still cold days forecast in the coming weeks, so it is tempting to have a fire to keep the chill off.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue

“It is very important to keep your chimney maintained and clear fireplaces and woodburners of any debris to help prevent a fire in your home. You should also have the chimney swept and brickwork inspected, at least once a year, to ensure the flue is clear of any soot or other material buildup.

“It’s also vitally important that you have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. They will alert you to a fire and give you precious minutes to escape to safety.

“Chimneys should be swept by a competent contractor. To find your nearest local HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep visit: https://www.hetas.co.uk/find-chimney-sweep/.”