Rugby: It’s a happy Christmas for Borough and the Lions

Reggie Reid scores the second Lions try. Picture: Mick Sutterby
Reggie Reid scores the second Lions try. Picture: Mick Sutterby
Have your say

Both city sides enjoyed English Clubs Championship success today (December 20) and both gained sweet revenge.

The Lions, third in National League Division Three, took on Lichfield at Bretton Park and ran out comfortable 28-13 winners while over at Fengate, Borough chalked up a 24-11 win in Midlands Division Two East (South) against Lutterworth.

In these two fixtures back in September there was defeat for the two Peterborough teams.

Today the Lions were determined to put the record straight and stormed into the lead with their first attack of the game.

Full-back Adam Barnard gathered up a kick on halfway, slipped the ball to Vernon Horne and the dynamic winger did the rest, smashing through three tackles on his way to the line from 50 metres out.

Will Carrington slotted the conversion and a big win looked to be on the cards.

But Lichfield, conquerors of title-chasing Nuneaton in their last game, were in no mood to surrender and fought back gamely with two penalties - the first arriving when Lions skipper Chris Humphrey was yellow carded.

Horne looked lethal in possession though and it was from another of his powerful bursts that the Lions grabbed their second try on 25 minutes. Reggie Reid scored it and Gedis Marcisuaskas supplied the final pass. Carrington added the extras and seven minutes later he was on target again when converting his own try which arrived after Arturius Balcunius sliced through the middle of the Lichfield defence.

It was 21-6 at the turnaround and the large crowd had certainly witnessed the best of the action.

Tbe second half was more of a dour forward struggle and the Lions were subjected to a fair share of pressure and spent long spells defending doggedly.

But they broke away on 71 minutes to score their bonus-point try when player/coach Darren Fox finished off a lovely handling move involving Barnard and Reid. The try was again converted by Carrington.

Lichfield gained a late consolation try on the final whistle.

“That’s a great Christmas present,” said Lions chairman Andy Moore. “It was good to get our revenge but it was never easy, Lichfield are a very competent side and until today had won the same number of games as us. But we keep bagging those bonus points and they could come in very handy at the end of the season.”

Borough’s revenge win over Lutterworth also came with a bonus point as they continued to ease their relegation fears.

They got off to a great start with a try by Angus Milton after six minutes and went 10-0 ahead when Stefan Gallucci raced in on the half-hour mark.

Lutterworth hit back with a try and a penalty just before the interval to make it 10-8.

Rob Jacobs marked his introduction from the subs bench on 48 minutes with a fantastic solo try from 30 yards out and Harry Roe converted for a 17-8 lead.

Lutterworth came back again with a penalty but then Borough made the game safe with a touchdown by young lock forward Adam Whyles following a lovely break by the ever-dangerous Chris Sansby. Roe polished off the win with his second conversion.