Rugby: Borough win a cup cracker at Fengate

Joe Andresen dives over the line to score a try for Borough. Picture: Tim Gates
Joe Andresen dives over the line to score a try for Borough. Picture: Tim Gates
Have your say

Borough won through to the fourth round of the RFU Intermediate Cup after a cracking match at Fengate this afternoon (November 29).

A stirring second-half fightback saw them inflict a first defeat of the season on Coalville as they stormed back from 22-10 down at the break to win 29-22.

And that topped off a magic month for the rejuvenated city side, who won all five of their games in November after a dismal start to the campaign which saw them lose their first six league matches.

Coalville, unbeaten leaders of Midlands Division Two East (North), looked the better side for much of the first half.

Borough did well initially and were rewarded with a try on 11 minutes, scored by Jack Gunn from a driving maul, and a conversion and penalty by Joe Andresen.

But after that Coalville upped their game. They kept possession better, they passed better and they looked the most likely winners.

Three tries gave them an interval advantage of 22-10 and Borough appeared to be on their way out.

But coach Lee Adamson talked his team into believing they could actually win the game and they went out and proved him right.

They quickly slipped into an extra gear and immediately looked to have scored a try when Stefan Gallucci touched down following a scything break by Andresen and good support play by George Dinsdale. He was adjudged, however, to have put a toe in touch and the try was disallowed.

From the resulting lineout though, Sam Crooks rose high and mighty - as he did all afternoon - to secure possession and the ball was slipped to Andresen. He weaved his way over and converted his own try to make it 22-17 to Coalville.

Borough’s tails - especially Tommasso Lotti’s - were up and Borough were beginning to boss the game.

‘Italian stallion’ Lotti picked up a loose ball just inside his own half and galloped 50 yards, crashing through three tackles to set up a try for John Thompson to level matters at 22-22. The conversion was missed.

Then with 10 minutes to go Borough substitute Martin Ball smuggled his way over for the winning try after Crooks had won another lineout near the Coalville line. Andresen added the points to this one.

A couple of minutes later Ball was sin-binned, leaving Borough short-handed to defend their lead during a frantic finale.

Coalville battled hard but Borough were in no mood to surrender. They defended heroically and held on for victory with Andresen pulling off one superb try-saving tackle in the dying seconds.

Aaron Throne and George Offer put in big, bone-crunching hits for Borough all afternoon, Crooks led from the front as usual, and back row boys Gunn and Chayne Loades worked their socks off.

Borough: Jack Trolove, Stefan Gallucci, Tommasso Lotti, George Offer, Chris Sansby, Joe Andresen, Lance Charity, George Dinsdale, Aaron Throne, George Hicks, John Thompson. Adam Whiles, Jack Gunn, Chayne Loades, Sam Crooks. Subs: Harry Roe, Hugh Burnham, Martin Ball.