RUGBY: A bad day as Borough and the Lions are beaten

Vernon Horne scores a try for the Lions at Syston. Picture: Mick Sutterby
Vernon Horne scores a try for the Lions at Syston. Picture: Mick Sutterby
Have your say

It was a bad afternoon for Peterborough rugby today (October 10) with both city sides beaten in English Clubs Championship games.

The Lions lost their third game of the season in National League Division Three when going down 27-15 at Syston while Borough were crushed 41-20 at home by unbeaten Midlands Division Two East high-flyers Melton Mowbray.

Andy Moore, the Lions chairman, admitted to being ‘shellshocked’ on the final whistle at Syston.

He said: “Syston weren’t a good side at all. In fact I have to say they were the worst side we’ve played in two years. Yet they’ve gone and beat us 27-15. It’s unbelievable. I’m shellshocked.

“I just don’t know how we lost that game. Okay, we had eight senior players missing and had they have been playing we’d have won by 60 points.

“But the side we had out wasn’t a bad side by any means. It was certainly good enough to beat Syston.

“But it just didn’t happen. We made too many mistakes and there was too much indiscipline.”

Syston were quickly into their stride and scored two tries very early on - the second after Lions lock Marius Andrijauskas had been sin-binned.

In the last 10 minutes of the first half, however, the Lions got their act together to run in two tries of their own and were 12-10 up at the break.

Powerful winger Vernon Horne darted in for the first, which was converted by Will Carrington, and Connor Gracey went over for the second.

In the second half though the wheels came off the Lions revival as yellow cards and a string of poor decisions and mistimed passes took their toll.

Andrijauskas saw red after picking up a second yellow card and Ben Howard and Matt Dunn were also sin-binned as the Lions let it slip away.

Borough were also missing a handful of key regulars for their match at Fengate and were always second best against very accomplished opponents who have now won four out of four after clinching promotion last season.

Borough were always behind and it was 17-5 to the visitors at the turnaround.

On the positive side, Borough did grab a bonus point for scoring four tries and several of the youngsters who came into the team after impressing for the seconds the previous weekend acquitted themselves well.

Speedy winger Tom Stuffins scored two of the Borough tries - both long range-efforts - and another of the newcomers, second row Stefan Almond, stormed over for the fourth and final try in injury-time. Both can be pleased with their all-round efforts.

Owain Pearce found a gap to race in from 30 yards out for the other Borough try and that capped a solid display by the tough-tackling centre.

Full-back Ryan Morris also caught the eye with some good defensive work.