City of Peterborough beaten by clinical finishing in the National League

Clinical proved the difference as City of Peterborough lost their National League Division One North match 5-2 against Loughborough Students at Bretton Gate on Saturday (February 1).

Monday, 3rd February 2020, 12:50 pm
Action from City of Peterborough (red) v Loughborough Students at Bretton Gate. Photo: David Lowndes.

City more than matched their talented visitors for most of the contest, but failed to make their periods of domination count.

City were the better side for much of the first quarter, but against the run of play conceded right on the cusp of the first break.

City continued to play well, and got back on terms through an Andy Seimann open play finish, but Loughborough were increasingly getting into their stride and scored again from open play just before the half-time interval.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Action from City of Peterborough (red) v Loughborough Students at Bretton Gate. Photo: David Lowndes.

The next goal was always going to be crucial and sharp finishing proved to be the decisive difference between the sides as Loughborough struck early in the second half for 3-1.

City were handed a lifeline when a fine reversed cross from Ben Read led to the receiving player, Sam Blunt being upended by the Loughborough keeper - a penalty flick resulted, and a green card for the Loughborough keeper due to dissent- allowing Joe Finding to pull a goal back via a penalty flick, with only a defender on the line to beat.

City were galvanised by this, exerting pressure on the Loughborough goal, but failing to force an equaliser. The Loughborough finishing by contrast was clinical and when opportunities fell they helped themselves to two more goals to complete a rather flattering final scoreline.

City of Peterborough Ladies beat Cambridge University 4-1 in an East Premier Division game at Bretton Gate. Hannah Knott, Tierney Augustine, Lucy Dakin and 15 year-old Stamford School student Leonie Hart scored the goals.