UNITED COUNTIES LEAGUE: Whittlesey wonders off the mark, Porter delivers a point for Stones

Whittlesey Athletic collected their first-ever victory in non-league football yesterday (August 6) '“ and it arrived courtesy of one of the best displays under the management of Andy Lodge.

Sunday, 7th August 2016, 8:45 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 8:47 pm
Two goals in two games for Bourne striker Zak Munton.

Two goals in quick succession from Jack Bates and Joe Butterworth around the half-hour mark set the local lads on the way to a 3-0 triumph against Bugbrooke at Feldale Field.

New signing Louie Medwynter completed the scoring with five minutes to go as they made their first home outing in United Counties League Division One a successful one.

Lodge said: “It was really important to get something out of our first home game and the boys put in one of the best performances I have seen from them in my time managing the club.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Matt Porter (green) scored a late equaliser for Blackstones at Olney.

“We had a plan and we stuck to it. We were outstanding in blistering heat.”

Bourne suffered a second successive defeat in UCL Division One as Long Buckby, who had beaten Whittlesey in their first outing eight days earlier, triumphed 3-1 at the Abbey Lawns. Zak Munton’s 72nd minute strike did briefly have the Wakes on level terms.

Blackstones twice came from behind to open their campaign with a 2-2 draw at Olney.

Winger Jones De Sousa provided the first leveller midway through the first half before defender Matt Porter struck with an overhead kick with four minutes left to restore parity a second time.

Matt Porter (green) scored a late equaliser for Blackstones at Olney.

March Town picked up their first point of the Thurlow Nunn League First Division season yesterday.

They drew 1-1 at newly-promoted Essex side Coggeshall in a game where the two teams traded goals early in the second half.

Luke Pepper equalised for a March side who had endured a nightmare preparation with five players delayed en route and not arriving until 15 minutes before kick-off.

Wisbech St Mary collected a second win of the season when beating Needham Market Reserves 3-1.



Division One

Bourne Town 1 (Munton)

Long Buckby AFC 3

Olney Town 2

Blackstones 2 (De Sousa, M. Porter)

Whittlesey Athletic 3 (Bates, Butterworth, Medwynter)

Bugbrooke St Michaels 0


Division One

Coggeshall Town 1

March Town United 1 (Pepper)

Wisbech St Mary 3

Needham Market Res 1