There has been the usual cast of heroes and villains in the current World Cup and here are mine....
It’s been a decent World Cup so far for...
1) Leroy Sane: I doubt he’ll be left out of any future Germany squads.
2) Harry Kane: What a top all-round player he has looked. Takes a physical buffetting in his stride.
3) Kylian Mbappe: The next world superstar.
4) Vladimir Putin: What a propaganda coup for the Russian president.
5) Roberto Martinez: Hounded out by Everton fans and now facing a World Cup quarter-final against Brazil.
6) Gary Neville: Peerless pundit.
7) Gareth Southgate: He’s plotted England’s path perfectly.
8) Mark Clattenburg: Expert analysis of many inferior referees.
9) Well-behaved England fans.
10) VAR (it’s not the machinery’s fault there have been blunders).
It’s been a bad World Cup so far for...
1) Diego Maradona (above): What a mess.
2) Rebekah Vardy: Embarrassing, non-stop self-promoting leader of the England WAGs.
3) Joachim Löw: Didn’t pick Leroy Sane with disastrous consequences.
4) David De Gea: The world’s best goalkeeper endured a poor tournament.
5) Manuel Neuer: A goalkeeper who thought he was a winger with laughable consequences.
6) Neymar: A diving, narcissistic cheat.
7) Phil Neville, Glenn Hoddle, Clive Tyldesley, Dion Dublin and many other awful (and biased) pundits/commentators.
8) Lionel Messi: Sadly.
9) Those Welsh and Scottish fans waiting for England to slip.
10) VAR officials are to blame for so many blunders.