Former Peterborough United youth coach died of brain injury on day of sex abuse trial, inquest told

Former Peterborough United youth coach Michael ‘Kit’ Carson - who was killed in a car crash on the day he was due to go on trial charged with sexually abusing young boys died of a brain injury, an inquest has heard.

Tuesday, 22nd January 2019, 9:55 am
Updated Thursday, 7th February 2019, 6:32 pm
Michael 'Kit' Carson

Carson, 75, had denied 12 counts of indecent assault and one of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

The allegations involved 11 boys under the age of 16, between 1978 and 2009, with many of the allegations.

Carson’s trial was listed to begin at Peterborough Crown Court on January 7, but he died in a single-vehicle crash that morning.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The scene of the crash

Cambridgeshire’s senior coroner, David Heming, opening and adjourning an inquest in Huntingdon today (Tuesday), said Carson was the driver of a Mazda 3 car which crashed off the A1303 at Bottisham, around seven miles east of Cambridge.

“The circumstances as presently known are that the vehicle left the carriageway on to a wide grass verge and collided with a tree,” said Mr Heming.

“Mr Carson suffered fatal injuries.

“The cause of death provided by the post-mortem examination is a traumatic brain injury.”

Carson died at the scene, with no other vehicles or people involved.

The section of rural single-carriageway road where the collision took place is straight and has a 60mph speed limit.

“It’s clear that there are further investigations to be done by Cambridgeshire Police concerning the circumstances of the accident,” Mr

Heming said.

“In addition, it’s routine in these types of investigations for samples to be sent for toxicological analysis and results of these specialist examinations of blood normally take approximately six weeks. “I would like to express my condolences and sympathy to the wife of the


Carson, of St Bartholomew’s Court, Riverside, Cambridge, had worked at Norwich City, Peterborough United and Cambridge United.

He was on bail at the time of his death.

The hearing was adjourned until June 18 for a full inquest.