Ex-Peterborough United youth coach killed himself on day he was due to face child abuse charges, inquest finds

Ex Peterborough United coach Michael Kit Carson killed himself on the day he was due to stand trial over child abuse charges, and inquest has found.

Monday, 9th September 2019, 12:50 pm
Michael Kit Carson arrives at Cambridge Magistrates' Court

Carson was due to face 12 counts of indecent assault and one count of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity at a Peterborough Crown Court trial on Monday, January 7. However, Carson died in a car crash on the A303 at Bottisham at 9.45am. His trial was due to start in Peterborough at 9.45am. Carson’s car - the only vehicle involved in the incident - hit a tree, and he was the only occupant of the vehicle.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

An inquest at Huntingdon Law Courts today found the former youth coach died by suicide.

Cambridgeshire assistant coroner Simon Milburn recorded a conclusion of suicide at the inquest in Huntingdon on Monday, saying Carson steered deliberately into the tree and "intended to take his own life".The coroner said there was no evidence whatsoever of Carson taking "avoiding action" before hitting the tree.The inquest heard Carson did not think he was due in court for his trial until January 9 and only realised on the morning of January 7 that he was required in court.The coroner summarised parts of a written statement from Carson's wife Pauline in which she said her husband was "concerned because he was running late".The inquest heard Carson contacted his barrister at around 9am on January 7 regarding what time to meet on Wednesday, two days later.The coroner said Mrs Carson described her husband as "stressed and confused" after he was told by his barrister that he needed to get to court that morning.The inquest heard the barrister did not want Carson to be stressed and told him to take his time.The coroner said the route Carson took that morning to Peterborough was not the "most logical".In her statement, Mrs Carson said they had "continued with family life" and were "relieved" they had reached the point of the trial starting.Carson died at the scene, with no other vehicles or people involved, and the cause of death was confirmed as a traumatic brain injury.The inquest heard there was no evidence to suggest Carson was travelling at excess speed, nor was there evidence he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.He was not using his mobile phone at the time of the collision and there was no evidence of mechanical faults in the vehicle.Carson was wearing his seat belt and airbags were deployed. The coroner also said it was clear from the medical evidence there was no medical emergency or natural conditions that contributed to Carson's death.The section of rural single-carriageway road where the collision took place is straight and has a 60mph speed limit.Collision investigator PC Sean Redman told the inquest he could find no evidence of skidding.He also said the weather was calm and overcast that morning and described visibility as good.Mr Redman said he could find no evidence any "evasive action" had been taken by Carson.Carson, of St Bartholomew's Court, Riverside, Cambridge, had worked at Norwich City, Peterborough United and Cambridge United.He was on bail at the time of his death.The offences were alleged to have happened between 1978 and 2009, and involved 11 victims, all boys under the age of 16. Nine of the offences were said to have taken place in the Peterborough area.Carson, who was the academy director at London Road between 1993 and 2001, denied the charges against him.

Michael Kit Carson arrives at Cambridge Magistrates' Court