Ex Peterborough United coach Kit Carson was 'dream maker' - but 'his victims will never get closure' after he killed himself

Michael 'Kit' Carson was described as 'the man who can help dreams come true' during his time at Posh, helping many youngsters become professional footballers - and it was not or nearly twenty years until allegations against the highly thought of coach came to light.

Monday, 9th September 2019, 12:51 pm
Michael Kit Carson arrives at Cambridge Magistrates' Court
Michael Kit Carson arrives at Cambridge Magistrates' Court

An inquest today found he took his own life on the day he was due to stand trial over a string of child abuse charges

Carson joined Posh in 1993 as youth development officer, and remained at London Road until 2001, when he joined Cambridge United in acrimonious circumstances. He had previously worked at Norwich City, and during his time he worked with a number of stars and internationals, including Chris Sutton, Craig Bellamy, Tim Sherwood and Danny Mills.

The Irishman was one of the most respected youth coaches in the country during career, winning the FA Youth cup with Norwich in 1992/93.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Michael Kit Carson arrives at Cambridge Magistrates' Court

When he joined the club, vice chairman Alf Hand said 'this could be the best signing the club has made in years.'

In 1997, when Carson signed a new five year contract to stay in Peterborough, then manager Barry Fry even labelled the deal as 'the best signing the club will make all summer.'

In 2000, Mr Fry said: "I don't care if Kit Carson hates my guts, but I do care about the job he does. He's the best in the business at spotting young talent, he's a genius with young footballers.'

But in March last year it was revealed Carson had been charged in connection with a series of offences against young players. Many of the offences were said to have taken place during his time at Peterborough.

Carson was highly regarded as a youth coach before the allegations surfaced

Carson, then aged 74, of St Bartholomew’s Court, Riverside, Cambridge appeared at Cambridge Magistrates' Court in April 2018. The court was told Carson would be pleading not guilty to the charges he faced.

The following month he appeared at Cambridge Crown Court, where he confirmed his not guilty pleas. No trial date was set by the court at the time.

He left Posh to join rivals Cambridge United

His trial was set to take place on January 7, starting at 10am at Peterborough Crown Court.

But he never made the hearing, after being involved in a car crash at 9.45am in Bottisham. His car collided with a tree, and was the only vehicle involved in the incident.

The following day, the case was officially closed at the court.

Following Carson's death, Detective Chief Inspector Neil Sloan, from Cambridgeshire police, said 'Carson's victims would never get closure.'

He said: "The victims all took a brave step to come forward. They outlined what happened to them and what impact it had on them. They supported the investigation and had been patient waiting for the court case but now they will not get the closure they wanted in giving their account to the court and having their voice heard."

His inquest was heard at Huntingdon Law Courts today.