Teenage talent fires Star into a cup final

Two-goal Jordan MacLeod in action for Peterborough Northern Star against Yaxley. Photo: Tim Symonds.
Two-goal Jordan MacLeod in action for Peterborough Northern Star against Yaxley. Photo: Tim Symonds.
Have your say

Teenage talent Jordan MacLeod fired Peterborough Northern Star into the final of the Hinchingbrooke Cup at the expense of Yaxley yesterday (April 25).

MacLeod scored a goal in each half as Star beat their ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties Premier Division rivals 2-0 at Chestnut Avenue to book a final place against Deeping Rangers at Huntingdon Town FC on Monday, May 11.

Star bossed yesterday’s fiesty semi-final and took the lead after half an hour when MacLeod executed a superb volley from the edge of the area after a Phil Stebbing shot had been blocked. He added a second goal 13 minutes from time curling home from just inside the area following a Hayden Bream pass.

It was a good comeback from Star after losing their Northants FA Hillier Cup Final a few days earlier.

The city side have finished seventh, two places behind Yaxley, in the UCL Premier Division after the final set of league fixtures were completed yesterday.

Wisbech finished third behind champions AFC Rushden & Diamonds and Thurnby Nirvana after winning 3-2 at Sileby Rangers in their final game. Wisbech led 2-0 early on thanks to Danny Beaumont and Steven Reid, but needed a second-half winner from Tommy Treacher after the home side had fought back to level.

Holbeach finished fourth after ending their season with five successive draws. It was 1-1 against Harborough Town yesterday with Craig Parker scoring an equaliser for The Tigers.

Deeping finished ninth following a 1-1 draw at home to Oadby, Jezz Goldson-Williams gave Deeping the lead in the early stages of manager Tuncay Korkmaz’s last home game in charge.

Bourne finished in the top half of Division One after drawing their final game 2-2 at Woodford United. Joe Bull and Tyler Sculthorpe scored for Bourne. Peterborough Sports finished fifth and miss out on an FA Cup spot next season by one place.

March Town finished eighth in Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League after losing their final match 1-0 at LC Debenham.

Spalding failed in their bid to reach the play-offs in Division One South of the Evo Stik League.

The Tulips needed to win their final game to have a chance of some post-season action, but they went down 3-0 at Romulus.

The great escape from Northern Premier Division relegation of AFC Stamford was reported online yesterday. The Daniels were 2-0 down at half-time to Witton Albion in their must-win game at the Zeeco Stadium, but second-half goals from Tom McGowan (2) and Ryan Robbins (penalty) turned the game on it’s ahead.

It was a first league win for Stamford at their new Borderville base. Witton were among the four clubs relegated as a result.



Northern Premier Division

AFC Stamford 3 (McGowan 2, Robbins), Witton Albion 2

Division One South

Romulus 3, Spalding 0.



Peterborough Northern Star 2 (MacLeod 2), Yaxley 0.


Premier Division

Deeping Rangers 1 (Goldson-Williams), Oadby 1

Holbeach United 1 (Parker), Harborough Town 1

Sileby 2, Wisbech Town 3 (Beaumont, Reid, Treacher)

Division One

Woodford United 2, Bourne Town 2 (Bull, Sculthorpe)


Division One

LC Debenham 1, March Town United 0