Penalty joy for Wisbech, Great win for March

Wisbech goalkeeper Lea Jordan was in fine form for Wisbech against Cogenhoe.
Wisbech goalkeeper Lea Jordan was in fine form for Wisbech against Cogenhoe.
Have your say

Wisbech Town needed a penalty shoot out before maintaining their winning streak and booking a place in the Chromasports United Counties League Cup semi-final last night (March 10).

The Fenmen had won their previous 12 competitive matches, but were pushed to the limit by Premier Division rivals Cogenhoe in their quarter-final at the Fenland Stadium. Wisbech twice led through Billy Smith and Josh Ford, but Cogenhoe hit back to take the match into extra time and then penalties.

Both sides finished with 10 men with Luke Wilson seeing red for Wisbech after collecting a second yellow card.

But Wisbech won the penalty shoot out 4-3 with Adam Millson, Stuart Cobb, Josh Ford and Steven Reid successful from the spot. Wisbech ‘keeper Lea Jordan made a couple of crucial saves during the shoot out.

The Fenmen now have a tough semi-final at AFC Rushden & Diamonds on a date to be arranged. That is a clash of the Premier Division’s current top two - leaders Diamonds won 1-0 at a depleted Yaxley side in their semi-final last night. The other semi-final will be an all Division One affair between Lutterworth and Potton.

Potton knocked out troubled Holbeach on Saturday (March 7) which marked the last game in charge of ‘The Tigers’ for John Chand. His replacement Darren Jarvis had a baptism of fire last night and a 3-0 Premier Division defeat at in-form Thurnby Nirvana came as no surprise.

Holbeach are struggling for players at the moment and their situation could soon become worse as Yaxley are understood to have made an approach for top local midfielder Andrew Tidswell.

Peterborough Northern Star suffered their first defeat last night, 2-1 at Boston Town, since dispensing with the services of Jarvis. There was consolation from a first defeat in six matches as teenager James Hill-Seekings claimed his first goal at Premier Division level. Star defender Dan Moyes had earlier scored for Boston.

Deeping Rangers were held to a goalless draw by Sleaford despite playing against 10 men for over an hour after visiting player-boss Terry Fleming was dismissed for dissent and in Division One Bourne claimed their expected win at rock bottom Stewart & Lloyds, a team who have now lost 28 of their 29 league games and have a goal difference of -104.

Josh Hales scored twice for Bourne and set up a third goal for Aris Placis in a 3-1 win. Peterboorugh Sports didn’t play last night, but they were knocked off top spot by title favourites Northampton Spencer who beat Irchester 3-0.

March Town maintained their steady progress in Thurlow Nunn Division One with an excellent 2-0 home win over Great Yarmouth. Ondre Odain opened the scoring just before half-time and created a second goal for Thomas Flatters soon after the re-start.

March are sixth in the table, level on points with fifth-placed Yarmouth.

There is a Peterborough League Premier Division match on the 3G at The Grange tonight (March 11, 8.05pm kick-off) when Netherton entertain Peterborough Sports Reserves. A win would move Netherton up a place to fourth.


(March 10)


League Cup

(Quarter finals)

Yaxley 0 AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1

Wisbech 2 (Smith, Ford), Cogenhoe 2

(After extra time, Wisbech won 4-3 on penalties)

Premier Division

Boston Town 2, Peterborough Northern Star 1 (Hill-Seekings).

Deeping Rangers 0 Sleaford 0

Thurnby Nirvana 3, Holbeach United 0.

Division One

Stewart & Lloyds 1, Bourne 3 (Hales 2, Placis)


(8pm kick-off)

Division One

March Town 2 (Odain, Flatters), Great Yarmouth 1


(March 11)


(8.05pm kick off)

Premier Division

Netherton United v Peterborough Sports Reserves