Non-league - Vieira fires Sports to FA Cup glory

Deeping celebrate scoring during their 6-1 FA Cup win over Boston Town. Picture: Tim Wilson
Deeping celebrate scoring during their 6-1 FA Cup win over Boston Town. Picture: Tim Wilson
Have your say

Peterborough Sports made a triumphant return to the FA Cup competition yesterday (August 15) . . . after a wait of 93 years.

A solitary strike from Portuguese hot-shot Avelino Vieira was enough to earn the city side victory in an extra preliminary round tie at higher-level Eynesbury Rovers.

They successfully saw out their first FA Cup tie since the 1922-23 season despite the late dismissal of midfield man Ali Nyang for collecting two cautions.

But there won’t be an all-city showdown against neighbours Peterborough Northern Star in the next round.

Star fell at the first hurdle in controversial fashion as they were beaten 2-1 by Newmarket Town – who will now face Sports - at the Branch Bros Stadium.

A spectacular Andy Buckle strike put Star ahead seven minutes before the break, but the visitors quickly levelled and hit the decisive goal from a hotly-disputed penalty after 64 minutes when Jason Dunn was harshly adjudged to have handled.

But three other local sides did advance with Yaxley tasting victory in the first game to be staged on the new artificial pitch at In2itive Park.

The Cuckoos came from behind to beat Gorleston thanks to a Jonny Stead leveller and a last-gasp Deakin Napier winner.

Summer signing Scott Coupland hit a hat-trick as free-scoring Deeping Rangers roared past Boston Town.

Billy Oliver, Scott Mooney and Dan Flack also found the net in a 6-1 drubbing of fellow United Counties League Premier Division side Boston Town at the Haydon Whitham Stadium as they took their tally to 13 goals in two games.

An early Robert Hughes goal was enough to ease Wisbech to a 1-0 success over Diss while Holbeach were reliant on Jonny Clay’s first goal for the club to earn another crack at lower-level Ely City.

The Tigers had midfielder Ollie Pinner dismissed as they trailed at Carters Park before earning a Tuesday replay.

Huntingdon will meet Fakenham Town again on Wednesday after a goalless draw in Norfolk.

Stamford AFC were on the receiving end of a heavy defeat in their Evo-Stik League Premier Division opener.

The Daniels squandered 2-0 and 3-2 advantages as they crashed 6-3 at Nantwich Town. Dan Clements, Andy Hall (penalty) and Greg Smith hit their goals.

A debut leveller from Michael Frew earned Spalding a 1-1 draw at Romulus in Division One South.

Bourne collected a second successive win in United Counties League Division One as Joe Moore-Papworth struck for the second successive game. He hit the only goal as ON Chenecks were seen off at the Abbey Lawns.

A first goal at non-league level for Antonio Dello Russo earned Blackstones a 1-1 draw at Buckingham.



Extra preliminary round: Deeping 6 (Coupland 3, Mooney, Oliver, Flack), Boston Tn 1; Yaxley 2 (Stead, Napier), Gorleston 1; Wisbech 1 (Hughes), Diss 0; Eynesbury 0, Peterborough Sports 1 (Vieira); Peterborough Northern Star 1 (Buckle), Newmarket 2; Fakenham 0, Huntingdon 0; Holbeach 1 (Clay), Ely 1.


Premier Division: Nantwich Tn 6, Stamford AFC 3 (Clements, Hall, Smith).

Division One South: Romulus 1, Spalding 1 (Frew).


Division One: Bourne 1 (Moore-Papworth), ON Chenecks 0; Buckingham 1, Blackstones 1 (Dello Russo).