NON-LEAGUE: Peterborough Sports march into the semi-finals

Dan Clements (right, blue) scored for Peterborough Sports at Oadby.
Dan Clements (right, blue) scored for Peterborough Sports at Oadby.
Have your say

All-conquering Peterborough Sports marched into the semi-finals of the United Counties League Cup with a 2-0 win at higher-level Oadby last night (January 5).

Oadby are struggling towards the foot of the Premier Division so a win for Division One table-toppers Sports hardly qualifies as a major shock, but this was the city side’s fourth win over step four opposition this season and they did by saving a penalty and playing the final 30 minutes with 10 men.

Sports took the lead seven minutes in as skipper Karl Gibbs converted a Dan Bucciero cross.

And the visitors kept the upper hand throughout the opening half with Avelino Vieira forcing Ellott Taylor into a save, Gibbs shooting just wide from a Vieira lay off and Jordan Macleod’s volley from a deep Vieira corner bringing a brilliant tip over from Taylor.

Oadby’s best effort of the half was a well struck Louis Hamilton effort saved by Luke McShane.

Sports almost doubled their lead early in the second half when a weaving run by substitute Dan Clements and resulting centre from the left ended with Vieira firing against the angle of post and bar.

Oadby were handed a lifeline after 62 minutes when Josh Sanders tugged back Sam Hollis in the penalty area - but Jermaine Gordon failed to capitalise as McShane saved his spot-kick.

A minute later David Cobb was dismissed for a second yellow card leaving Sports to play out the closing stages with 10 men.

Gordon put a fierce shot just over as Oadby sought to make their man advantage count.

But Sports held out and wrapped up the win with a well executed goal on 77 minutes. Lewis Webb’s pass released Vieira on the left and his centre found Clements timing his run to perfection to fire past Taylor.

Sports, who have won all 20 of their league fixtures this season, have a Northants Junior Cup quarter final at Division One rivals ON Chenecks on Saturday (January 9) and a Hinchingbrooke Cup semi-final against Godmanchester on January 26.

Stamford’s Doodson Cup second round tie at home to Buxton last night was postponed because of a waterlogged Zeeco Stadium pitch. It will now take place next Tuesday (January 12).