NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Ebdon takes charge of the Tulips

Marcus Ebdon is the new manager of Spalding United.
Marcus Ebdon is the new manager of Spalding United.
Have your say

Former Posh star Marcus Ebdon is the new manager of Spalding United.

Ebdon, who was number two under ex-boss Pat Rayment, was appointed last night (November 18) and will have Danny Hussey as his assistant manager.

Hussey said: “We’ve been assured by the board that nothing will change and we’re very happy with what they had to say.

“Now the focus has to go back to the pitch. We’re not good enough to go up automatically at this stage, but we can certainly make the play-offs.

“That has to be the aim – and if we can make it, then happy days.

“We’re looking forward to Saturday’s game, but nothing has really changed. The players have treated us like managers from the off and have really responded to us.

“We couldn’t have asked for more from them.”

The first game of Ebdon and Hussey’s official tenure is a home league date with Carlton Town on Saturday (3pm).

It’s Ebdon’s second managerial role, having previously been player/manager at Alfreton Town back in 2007. He began his playing career as a youth team player with Everton back in 1989, but is best remembered for making 147 appearances for Posh.

Veteran Hussey lists Stamford, Holbeach United and Spalding among the many clubs he represented in his playing career and is a highly-respected coach.

Meanwhile Bourne did well to pick up a point at third-placed Stewart & Lloyds in Division One of the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League last night (November 17). The game finished 3-3 after Bourne opened up a 2-0 lead within 20 minutes.

Bourne had the gale force wind behind them in the first half and they opened their account on 18 minutes when Kieran Blanchard’s pass sent Zak Munton away on the left and he cut back inside a covering defender to drill a low shot beyond the reach of Tom March in the home goal.

Two minutes later the lead was doubled as defender James Mann sliced Craig Rook’s corner past March at the near post.

S&L were back in the game after 23 minutes but the two-goal margin was restored on 37 minutes as Rook found the net via the underside of the bar with a 35-yard free-kick.

A home onslaught was expected down the slope in the second half and so it proved.

S&L made it 3-2 on 73 minutes and 10 minutes later got a deserved equalier.