NON-LEAGUE: FA Vase and Trophy exits, Sports and Tigers keep winning

Goalscorer Jamie Graham (blue shirt) in action for Spalding against Daventry.
Goalscorer Jamie Graham (blue shirt) in action for Spalding against Daventry.
Have your say

Blackstones and Wisbech Town both bowed out of the FA Vase at the first round stage yesterday (October 31).

Stamford-based Blackstones, who had knocked out two higher-ranked clubs just to reach this stage, will be kicking themselves after letting a two-goal lead slip against Shropshire-based visitors Haughmond.

The players of Spalding and Daventry have a dust up.

The players of Spalding and Daventry have a dust up.

Jones De Sousa and Jordan Avis fired Stones into a two-goal half-time lead, but the visitors were level midway through the second-half before claiming the winner 10 minutes from the end of extra time.

Wisbech played well, but were beaten 4-0 at home to Alvechurch of the Midland League. The Fenmen were on top until Billy Smith was shown a straight red card midway through the first half when the match was still goal-less.

Holbeach United and Yaxley are exempt from the competition until the second round, the draw for which takes place tomorrow (November 2).

It was another miserable day for Northern Premier Division Stamford AFC who bowed out of the FA Trophy at Carlton, a team struggling near the foot of the division below the Daniels. Stamford drew level early in the second-half courtesy of an own goal, but the home side found a winner seven minutes from time.

Spalding lost for the third time in a row for the first time under manager Paddy Rayment yesterday. They went down 2-1 at home to Daventry in Division One South of the Evo Stik League despite Jamie Graham firing them ahead with a goal on his full debut for the club. Daventry’s former Stamford striker Nabil Sharrif scored the winner for Daventry three minutes from time.

In the United Counties Premier Division Holbeach moved up to third following a come-from-behind 3-1 win over Desborough at Carter’s Park. Josh Ford scored twice for the Tigers - the first from the penalty spot - before Nick Jackson completed the scoring three minutes from time.

Holbeach are now unbeaten in 12 games and gained ground on second-placed Kirby Muxloe, who were held 0-0 at home by Deeping Rangers, but not on runaway leaders Leicester Nirvana who beat Peterborough Northern Star 4-2.

Nirvana are 12 points clear at the top after scoring in the first minute against Star. They were 2-0 up after nine minutes and 3-0 ahead after 50 minutes before Star fought back with goals from Hayden Bream and Jack Jefferson. The home side sealed victory in added time.

In Division One Peterborough Sports made it 11 wins from 11 games, but the leaders had to work harder than normal to secure a 2-0 win over Olney at PSL.

Karl Gibbs broke the deadlock two minutes into the second-half before top scorer Avelino Vieira added a second.

James Zealand and Craig Rook scored for Bourne in their 3-2 defeat at Northampton ON Chenecks

March Town came from 2-0 down to win 4-2 at Leiston in Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League. Liam Meryweather scored twice for the Hares with Luke Pepper and Jordan Goult also on target. March are now seventh.



First Qualifying Round

Carlton Town 2

AFC Stamford 1 (og)


First Round

Wisbech Town 0

Alvechurch 4

Blackstones 2 (De Sousa, Avis)

Haughmond 3

(After extra time. 2-2 after 90 minutes).


Division One South

Spalding 1 (Graham)

Daventry Town 2


Premier Division

Harborough Town 4

Huntingdon 1 (Petty)

Holbeach United 3 (Ford 2, Jackson)

Desborough Town 1

Kirby Muxloe 0

Deeping Rangers 0

Leicester Nirvana 4

Peterborough Northern Star 2 (Bream, Jefferson).

Division One

Northampton ON Chenecks 3

Bourne Town 2 (Rook, Zealand)

Peterborough Sports 2 (Gibbs, Vieira)

Olney Town 0


Division One

Leiston Res 2

March Town United 4 (Merryweather 2, Pepper, Goult)