NON-LEAGUE: Duffy delivers delight to Drury and Daniels, Cuckoos lose three-goal lead

Deeping Rangers celebrate their winning goal against Newport Pagnell. Photo: Tim Wilson.
Deeping Rangers celebrate their winning goal against Newport Pagnell. Photo: Tim Wilson.
Have your say

Stamford AFC breathed life into their ailing Evo Stik Northern Premier Division campaign by securing a first win for new manager Graham Drury yesterday (December 5).

And it was one of Duffy’s recent signings, Jake Duffy, who scored the 58th-minute winning goal at Mickleover Sports. However ‘The Daniels’ remain seven points adrift of safety.

Action from Deeping Rangers' 1-0 win over Newport Pagnell. Photo: Tim Wilson.

Action from Deeping Rangers' 1-0 win over Newport Pagnell. Photo: Tim Wilson.

Spalding’s excellence under their new manager Marcus Ebdon continued with a 1-0 home win over Market Drayton in Division One South. Jake Newman scored the only goal of a game between the teams fourth and fifth in the table five minutes from time.

Wisbech Town were another team celebrating a superb win as they ousted runaway United Counties Premier Division leaders Leicester Nirvana from the League Cup.

The Fenmen battled hard in awful conditions to claim a 0-0 draw before winning the penalty shoot out 5-4. It was 4-4 after the first batch of five penalties apiece, but Wisbech took the honours in sudden death to earn a quarter-final tie at home to First Division Olney.

Fenmen skipper Jon Fairweather converted the winning penalty while goalkeeper Aaron Butcher made two key saves in the shoot-out.

Third-placed Holbeach took advantage of Nirvana’s cup match to close the gap on the leaders to 10 points with a 3-2 win at lowly Oadby.

The home side took the lead, but Jake Clitheroe equalised and Josh Ford netted twice in the second-half before Oadby grabbed a late consolation goal. The Tigers still have two games in hand on Nirvana.

Fifth-placed Deeping Rangers beat fourth-placed Newport Pagnell with a solitary goal from top scorer Scott Coupland early in the second-half at Outgang Road.

Seventh-placed Peterborough Northern Star made hard work of beating bottom club Huntingdon. A penalty scored by Hayden Bream following a foul on Craig Smith clinched a 1-0 win for Star manager Seb Hayes at his old club.

Yaxley’s game against Northampton Spencer proved to be the proverbial game of two halves thanks to a powerful wind at In2itive Park.

The Cuckoos played with the elements and led 3-0 before settling for a 4-1 half-time lead. Jon Stead scored twice with Dan Cotton and Matt Gearing also on target.

But Spencer also benefitted from the weather conditions after the break and fought back to draw 4-4 before seeing two players sent off late in the game.

In Division One Bourne went 2-0 down in the 85th minute at home to Thrapston, but hit back with goals from Tyler Sculthorpe and skipper Dan Smith who netted in the 88th and 91st minutes respectively.

Blackstones were beaten 3-0 at home by Lutterworth with all the goals arriving in the first half.

March Town United’s assistant manager Scott Beeny scored the only goal of the game in their win at Cornard in Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League.


December 5


Northern Premier Division

Mickleover Sports 0

Stamford AFC 1 (Duffy)

Division One South

Spalding 1 (Newman)

Market Drayton 0


Premier Division

Deeping Rangers 1 (Coupland)

Newport Pagnell Town

Huntingdon Town 0

Peterborough Northern Star 1 (Brem, pen)

Oadby Town 2

Holbeach United 3 (Ford 2, Clitheroe)

Yaxley 4 (Stead 2, Gearing, Cotton)

Northampton Spencer 4

Division One

Blackstones 0

Lutterworth Athletic 3

Bourne Town 2 (Sculthorpe, Smith)

Thrapston Town 2

League Cup

Wisbech Town 0

Leicester Nirvana 0

(Wisbech won 5-4 on penalties)


Division One

Cornard United 0

March Town United 1 (Beeny).