Peterborough League match abandoned after player stops breathing

Chris Down (right) was taken to hospital after collapsing during a Peterborough League Premier Division match. Photo submitted
Chris Down (right) was taken to hospital after collapsing during a Peterborough League Premier Division match. Photo submitted
Have your say

A Peterborough League Premier Division football match was abandoned just before half-time on Saturday (November 22) after a player collapsed and stopped breathing for a short time.

Sawtry midfielder Chris Down was treated on the pitch in the match at Pinchbeck for 25 minutes before being taken to Hospital. He is now recovering at home following an incident described as ‘scary and worrying’ by Sawtry manager Jason Bohinis.

Bohonis was full of praise for the actions of Pinchbeck, particularly their player-manager Ian Dunn who administered first aid, with the help of a nurse who had attended the match as a spectator, before the ambulance arrived.

“I can’t praise the actions of Ian and Pinchbeck Football Club enough,” said Bohonis. “It was a very scary few moments as I am sure Chris stopped breathing for several seconds even though it felt like longer.

“It was just before half-time and the ball had gone out for a throw-in when Chris knelt down and asked for treatment. I came on to the pitch to see him and before I got there he had fallen on his side and he stopped breathing. It was probably only for a few seconds, but it seemed much longer and it was a bit scary.

“But Ian was quickly on the scene and he seemed to know exactly what to do. He put Chris in the recovery position and a lady nurse who was watching the game also came on to help. Chris was treated on the pitch for 25 minutes before the ambulance arrived and took him to hospital. Ian and the nurse were brilliant as were all of the Pinchbeck lads and officials to be honest.

“Chris is back at home now, but he’s going to hospital for tests to try and find out exactly what happened. It was a real shock and a worry at the time as Chris is a very fit lad.”

Sawtry were leading 1-0 when the match was abandoned by referee Shaun Gray.

Oakham maintained their lead at the top of the table with a comfortable 3-0 win over Peterborough Sports Reserves, but Coates Athletic are in close pursuit after two goals from Jack Bates helped them to a 3-1 win at Thorney.

Stilton are third as Richie Baines and Liam Rodden boths scored twice in an impressive 4-1 win at fellow high-fliers ICA. Andy Wayte replied for ICA who had Jon Taylor sent off after he collected two yellow cards.

Netherton are still in touch after beating Moulton Harrox 3-1 with goals from player-manager Jon Harrison, Jake Sansby and Tom Randall.

Riverside also played part of their 6-2 defeat at home to Langtoft with 10 men as Liam Merryweather was dismissed. Talal Karama and in-form teenager Josh Hales scored two goals apiece for Langoft while Antonio Dello Russo struck twice for Riverside.

Crowland are off the bottom after beating Uppingham 3-0. Leverington are now propping up the rest despite winning their latest game against Holbeach Reserves 4-2. Leverington have received a 10-point deduction for fielding a suspended player in a Premier Division match last month.


Crowland 3 (Paling, Simkus, Valys), Uppingham 0.

Leverington 4 (Kudyba 3, Melton), Holbeach Reserves 2.

Netherton 3 (Harrison, Sansby, Randall), Moulton Harrox 1

Oakham 3 (Cox, Dance, Rothery), Peterborough Sports Res 0.

ICA 1 (Wayte), Stilton 4 (R. Baines 2, Rodden 2).

Riverside 2 (Dello Russo 2), Langtoft 6 (Karama 2, Hales 2, Jarman, Morris).

Thorney 1, Coates 3 (Bates 2, Heron).

Pinchbeck v Sawtry abandoned