Parkway are spot on to clinch their first PFA Cup success

Parkway celebrate their PFA Sunday Senior Cup final win.
Parkway celebrate their PFA Sunday Senior Cup final win.
Have your say

Parkway claimed their first PFA Sunday Cup Final success following a penalty shoot-out win over Bretton North End at Chestnut Avenue tonight (April 8).

The Peterborough Sunday Morning League Premier Division side beat Bretton North End from Division One 4-3 on spot-kicks following a 1-1 draw after 90 minutes.

It was an eventful evening with one player, Stuart Eason of Parkway, scoring with his first touch and another player, Harry Woodward of Bretton, missing a key penalty with his first touch. There were also several missed one-on-one opportunities, some quality crosses, some crunching tackles and a brief stoppage in play in the second-half when a local resident came into the ground to complain about some bad language - at a football match, who would have thought it?

Woodward was probably cursing when his penalty was skied high and wide, but it was a tough ask to play just 30 seconds as a substitute and then be handed Bretton’s final penalty. Harley Williams, a high-class young player, had already seen his penalty - Bretton’s first - saved by limping Parkway ‘keeper Lee Jordan so consolation could at least be shared.

Parkway were better shooting from the spot than they were in normal play. Jamie Graham, who tossed away an unfinished cigarette on the walk to take his kick, George Edwards, Rikki Goodale and Tom Staggs all converted their penalties and the misses by Woodward and Williams meant Eason was spared his moment in the spot-light.

Eason had delivered his contribution within 30 seconds of appearing as a 59th-minute substitute when stooping to head home a superb cross from Chris Brown. It was a special moment for Parkway boss Paul Passero, who just happens to manage Bretton North End on a Saturday.

Eason spared the blushes of two top local strikers Ian Bradbury and Graham who had both missed glaring opportunities for players of their ability in the first quarter of the game. Both were clean through on goal and both lobbed the ball over advancing goalkeeper Lee Maxwell, but also over the crossbar.

Maxwell was called into action before the break to turn away a deflected shot from Staggs, just before Jordan saved well to thwart Fernand Bass who had broken clear of the Parkway defence.

Bretton rarely threatened otherwise, but they did conjure up an equaliser less than 10 minutes after falling behind. Liam Gallagher’s cross was decent, but the volleyed finish from Conor Pridmore was outstanding and enough to give him the man-of-the-match award.

There were no clearcut chances in the final 20 minutes thanks to solid showings from Tim Lenihan and Liam Reynolds at the heart of the Bretton defence and a commanding display from Edwards at the back for Parkway.

Bretton North End: Lee Maxwell, Kane Gilbert, Ricky Rosario, Paul Kelly, Liam Reynolds, Tim Lenihan, Liam Gallagher, Robbie Osker, Fernand Bass, Harley Williams, Conor Pridmore, Harry Woodward, Dan Woodward, Ian McIntosh, Dylan Horn, Ian Defraine. Manager Joe Duffy

Parkway: Lea Jordan, Mark Oxenham, Jason Bannie, Christian Gordon, George Edwards, Andrew Bradley, Sam Thompson, Tom Staggs, Ian Bradbury, Jamie Graham, Chris Brown, Stuart Eason, Daniel Murray, Daniel Retzlaff, Jack Gowler, Rikki Goodale. Manager Paul Passero


Bretton North End: Pridmore (68 mins)

Parkway: Eason (59 mins).


Bretton North End: Osker (dissent).

Parkway: Oxenham (foul), Gowler (foul).

Man-of-the-match: Conor Pridmore (Bretton North End).

Referee: Rob Cusick.

Assistant referees: Michael McDonald and Michael Dunkley.

Attendance: 200 (approx).