LOCAL FOOTBALL: Moulton win the league, Whittlesey win a cup

Moulton Harrox have clinched the Peterborough Premier Division title with two matches to spare.

Sunday, 24th April 2016, 8:30 am
Updated Sunday, 24th April 2016, 9:59 am
Ben Allen scored a hat-trick for Moulton Harrox at Stilton.

Moulton, who started the season with 14 straight wins and didn’t taste defeat until game number 31 last Tuesday (April 19) at Pinchbeck, sealed top spot with a 5-1 win at Stilton United.

Benjamin Allen’s hat-trick and further goals from Billy King and Daniel Lambe-Hyner wrapped up the points for Harrox. Mark Baines replied for the home side with a long-range screamer.

Moulton manager Dave Panton said: “It’s a relief to be honest. The lads have been superb all season and it’s just been a case of finally getting over the line.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Whittlesey Athletic C celebrate their Peterborough League Shield Final success.

Moulton are currently 20 points clear at the top and attention now turns to the race for second spot.

Pinchbeck currently sit second, but Whittlesey Athletic and Netherton are breathing down their neck.

Whittlesey have the games in hand to be regarded as favourites and they came through a tricky trip to Ketton unscathed yesterday. Liam Harrold (2) and Jack Bates scored their goals in a 3-1 win.

Player-boss Ian Dunn scored twice as Pinchbeck also won 3-1 at AFC Stanground, while Netherton smashed bottom club Riverside 10-0 in the perfect warm-up for their big Northants Junior Cup Final clash with United Counties League hotshots Peterborough Sports at the ABAX Stadium on Tuesday (April 26). Stephen Maston scored for for Netherton with Eric Makate bagging a hat-trick. Veteran Ronnie Fortune (2) and Herbie Panting were also on target.

Whittlesey Athletic C celebrate their Peterborough League Shield Final success.

Whittlesey travel to Moulton for a Premier Division match next Saturday (April 30) and they still have to host Netherton.

PFA Senior Cup finalists Langtoft were surprisingly beaten 2-0 at home by Thorney yesterday.

It was a good weekend all-round for Whittlesey Athletic as their C team sprang a minor suprise in the final of the Peterborough League Shield on Friday (April 22).

Whittlesey, who play their football in Division Five, beat Fourth Division AFC Stanground Reserves 2-1 at Chestnut Avenue. Man-of-the-match Drew McCulloch won the gamne with a 25-yard cracker after Metehan Eskikoy had opened the scoring in the fifth minute.


Friday, April 22


ChromaSport & Trophies League Shield Final

AFC Stanground Res 1

Whittlesey Athletic ‘C’ 2 (McCulloch, Eskikoy)


Premier Division

AFC Stanground 1

Pinchbeck United 3 (Dunn 2, Sae-Be)

Ketton 1

Whittlesey Athletic 3 (Harrold 2, Bates)

Langtoft United 0

Thorney 2

Riverside 0

Netherton United 10 (Mastin 4, Makate 3, Harrold 2, Panting)

Stilton United 1 (M. Baines)

Moulton Harrox 5 (Allen 3, King, Lambe-Hyner)