LOCAL FOOTBALL: Moulton are beaten at last so title party is on hold

The championship party is on hold for Moulton Harrox.

Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 8:39 am
Updated Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 9:45 am
Pinchbeck equalise against Moulton Harrox. Photo: Tim Wilson.

Only a mathematical miracle could deny them from taking the Premier Division title.

One more point would be enough, but the unbeaten record is all over, in their 31st game of the campaign.

Moulton looked on course to celebrate last night (April 19) as top scorer Ollie Maltby put them ahead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Pinchbeck players celebrate their win over Moulton Harrox. Photo: Tim Wilson.

However, a second-half fightback from Pinchbeck United boosted their bid for runners-up spot and leaves Moulton waiting for that magical moment when they are crowned champions.

When Maltby poked home from close range after 14 minutes, it appeared Moulton would get the job done.

Maltby’s penalty appeal was then turned down and Joe Townsend should have done better with a far-post header.

Tony Edwards missed the target at the other end, but the champions-elect looked in control.

Pinchbeck players celebrate their win over Moulton Harrox. Photo: Tim Wilson.

After the break, though, Tyler Wright sent a warning when he fired wide and then Pinchbeck levelled thanks to Edwards’ cross-shot into the top corner.

Maltby and Tom Panton could not test goalkeeper Joe Ashton, but Moulton number one Lee Kenealy was called into action when he pushed out Liam Ogden’s effort.

The winner came on 81 minutes as Edwards slotted home from the penalty spot after Bobby Patterson’s trip on Tom Sergeant.

There was still time for more yellow cards and a few anxious moments around the penalty box.

But Pinchbeck held on to inflict Moulton’s first league defeat of the season.

There is no real doubt that they will claim the title and what an achievement to stay unbeaten until now. A point at mid-table Stilton on Saturday (April 23) will allow the champagne to be uncorked.

As well as trying to finish in second place behind them, Pinchbeck will be aiming to cause another upset when they meet Moulton in the President Premier Shield 
final at Stamford on Friday, May 13.


4-5-1: Ashton; B Murrell, A Murrell, Withers, Gardner; Edwards, Francis (sub Dunn h-t), Bishop, Ogden, Wright; Sergeant. Subs not used: Saebe, Eyes, Lawrence, Brown.


4-4-2: Kenealy; Groves (sub Clay 56 mins), Coddington, Patterson, Johnson; Townsend (sub Lambe-Hyner 61 mins), King, Panton (sub Watkin 66 mins), Allen; Bradbury, Maltby.


Pinchbeck: Edwards (50 mins, 1-1); Edwards pen (81 mins, 2-1).

Moulton Harrox: Maltby (14 mins)


Pinchbeck: Bishop, B. Murrell, Sargeant.

Moulton Harrox: Clay, Bradbury, Coddington, Maltby, Kenealy.

Referee: Michael Dunkley


Elsewhere in the Premier Division Netherton United kept their runners-up hopes alive with a scrappy 2-1 win at lowly Leverington. Tom Randall scored twice.

The city side are fourth, two points behind second-placed Pinchbeck, but with a game in hand. Whittlesey Athletic are third with games in hand on both.

Peterborough Sports Reserves are fifth, a point behind Netherton, but having played two games more. They won 4-0 at Sawtry last night with Gary Gibbs bagging a hat-trick and brother Karl, a first-team regular, adding the fourth goal.

Stilton United won at AFC Stanground 8-4!



Tuesday, April 19.

Premier Division

AFC Stanground 4

Stilton United 8

Leverington Sports 1

Netherton United 2

Pinchbeck United 2 (Edwards 2)

Moulton Harrox 1 (Maltby)

Sawtry 0

Peterborough Sports Res 4 (G, Gibbs 3, K. Gibbs)

Division Two

Whittlesey Athletic ‘A’ 2 (Quince 2)

Ketton Res 1

Division Four

Tydd St Mary Res 2

Holbeach Bank 1


Wednesday, April 20.


Division One: Stamford Lions v Stamford Belvedere.

Division Four: FC Peterborough v Parkside.


Cardea FC v Farcet Utd.