A serious fire has gutted a bungalow in Peterborough and left it structurally unsound.
Crews from Stanground, Whittlesey, Dogsthorpe and Thorney were called to the house fire in St Margaret’s Road, Fletton at 5.52pm yesterday, Tuesday July 27.
When crews arrived they were met with a well developed fire involving a bungalow. The residents were safely out of the property.
The Service’s command unit and support engine, along with the FESS vehicle also supported the operation.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used jets, hose reels and hydrants to extinguish the fire and set up a water curtain to protect a neighbouring property. The fire was extinguished by 8.30pm and all crews returned to their stations by 10.20pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental.
Station Commander Ady Slack said: “The bungalow has been destroyed by fire and is now structurally unsound. The fire was fully developed when we arrived and the crews did a superb job to prevent the fire spreading to next door.
“We also had to withdraw our crews who started tackling the fire from inside the property when the bungalow became structurally unsound.
“The fire started on the outside of the property at the back and spread rapidly into the roof and took hold.
“The homeowners were carrying out maintenance work using an LPG cylinder-powered device that unfortunately resulted in the fire starting.”
Fletton High Street was been closed while the fire was extinguished.