University student spared jail after Bourne street attack

Lincoln Crown Court.
Lincoln Crown Court.
Have your say

A highly rated university student involved in a street attack that left his victim unconscious has escaped immediate custody at Lincoln Crown Court.

Elliot Keen, who is about to start his third year of studies at London Metropolitan University, and his friend Carl Giddings assaulted the 20 year old victim in Bourne during the early hours of April 4.

He was hoping to become a teacher but he now feels that is not appropriate

Stephen Kemp, prosecuting, said that a group of men including Keen and Giddings became involved in “banter” outside The Jubilee pub with a rival group which included the victim.

The two groups clashed again later in the evening and there was pushing and shoving on the pavement.

Mr Kemp said: “The victim was then see to leave and walk away. From the group Keen approached him. There was further pushing then Giddings punched him to the side of his head. It was a single punch which caused him to be knocked off balance and to be knocked onto the street.

“Almost straight away Keen moved towards the victim who was still prone on the ground and appeared still to be conscious.

“Then there was a single kick delivered to the back of his head. After that kick he was motionless on the floor and is described as being unconscious for about three minutes.”

Keen and Giddings walked off along Abbey Road and were seen to re-enact the attack on a number of occasions as they headed to a nearby house.

The victim was taken to Peterborough City Hospital where he was treated for as laceration to the back of his head.

Elliott Keen (21) and Giddings (20), both of Wood Road, Kings Cliffe, each admitted a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

They were each given six months in a young offenders’ institution suspended for 12 months with 150 hours of unpaid work. They were each also ordered to pay a £180 Criminal Courts Charge, an £80 victim surcharge and £140 compensation to their victim.

Recorder Graham Huston told them: “What saves you is that the injury was not severe. Both of you have come very close to throwing away a very promising and bright future.”

Jasmine Khumar, for Keen, told the court: “He is a young man who was 20 at the time. He is on target to obtain a first class honours degree next year if he is spared his liberty. This was extremely out of character for him. He was hoping to become a teacher but he now feels that is not appropriate.”

Judith Brennan, for Giddings, said her client punched the victim once as a warning. She urged that he should receive a suspended sentence.