Big freeze: 180 crashes in six days on Cambridgeshire roads

Two of the cars are rescued from crashes on the A141 at Chatteris. Photo supplied
Two of the cars are rescued from crashes on the A141 at Chatteris. Photo supplied
Have your say

The big freeze has caused treacherous conditions on local roads with nearly 200 crashes within the space of just a week across Cambridgeshire.

Cambridgeshire police were called to a total of 180 incidents on the county’s roads between Christmas Eve and 29 December as temperatures dropped below freezing.

There were three crashes within the space of two hours on a small stretch of the A141 at Chatteris among a series of incidents.

Although most of the incidents across the county were reported as ‘damage only’, the emergency services were kept busy over the festive period thanks to black ice on the roads.

Chief Fire Officer Graham Stagg said: “As the temperature falls and the roads become icier, we’re asking motorists to please take extra care.

“We would encourage people to drive to the conditions of the road, slow down and allow room and time for braking.

“Our firefighters are specially trained to rescue casualties from vehicles using well-practised methods and using advanced equipment.

“However, we would much rather there were fewer collisions, fewer casualties for us to rescue, and certainly, no lives lost on Cambridgeshire’s roads this winter. Please help us by taking care behind the wheel.”

A Cambridgeshire police spokesman added: “We are urging motorists to reduce their speed and drive to the conditions of the road and to bear in mind that some roads are not gritted and black ice can form on them.”

Emergency services were called to three accidents in the space of quarter of a mile of the A141 on Sunday morning.

At 5.47am crews were called after a car had gone into a ditch. Firefighters used specialist cutting equipment to release a woman from the car.

The woman, aged in her 60s, did not need hospital treatment.

They were finished at the incident at 6.44am but responded immediately to another incident about a quarter of a mile further along the road.

Another vehicle had left the road and landed in a ditch. Firefighters again used specialist cutting equipment to release one woman, who was taken to hospital by ambulance. The crew left the incident at 7.11am.

At 7.22am were called to another collision on the A141 in Chatteris, near the roundabout and potato factory.

A car had left the road, coming into contact with another car that had been involved in an earlier collision. The vehicle was in a water-filled ditch and firefighters used specialist cutting to rescue a woman. She was taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital with minor injuries.