A47 crash: Driver in court as bedside vigil continues for baby girl fighting for her life

Two vehicle RTC on the westbound carriageway of the A47. EMN-140312-150447009
Two vehicle RTC on the westbound carriageway of the A47. EMN-140312-150447009
Have your say

A one-year-old baby girl is still fighting for her life more than a week after being involved in a car crash on the A47 in Peterborough last week.

The baby was a passenger in the crash on 3 December, and was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge for treatment.

She is still in a critical condition after suffering serious fractures including a smashed pelvis.

The baby was a passenger in a pale blue Citroen, being driven by the girl’s grandmother, which collided with a dark blue Mazda at just after noon.

The accident happened on the westbound carriageway of the Soke Parkway near the Fulbridge Road junction.

The rear of the Citroen and the front of the Mazda were both badly damaged in the crash.

The baby’s grandmother, aged in her 60s, suffered a collapsed lung in the crash, and was also taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital.

She was initially described as suffering life threatening injuries, but a police spokesman said she had now been discharged from hospital.

The family of the baby have been at the child’s bedside at the Cambridge hospital since the crash.

A police spokesman said the baby was still in a critical condition.

On Friday, Darius Putys (25) of Eastern Avenue, Peterborough, appeared at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court where he was charged with causing the crash.

Lithuanian national Putys was charged with two counts of causing serious injury by driving following his arrest the day after the horrific incident.

Wearing a blue t-shirt and grey jogging bottoms, he spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address, although he waved at his partner, who was sitting in the public gallery.

The court heard Putys, who has lived in the UK for four-and-a-half years, worked as a supervisor at the Tesco warehouse in Parnwell, and is the father of two children.

Sharon Lewis, defending Putys, said there would be no indication of plea at the hearing.

Giles Beaumont, prosecuting, said the case was too serious to be held at the magistrates’ court, and said it should be sent to Peterborough Crown Court for further hearings.

District Judge Ken Sheraton agreed with Mr Beaumont, and said: “Because of the seriousness of the matter, it will be sent to Peterborough Crown Court.

“There will be a preliminary hearing on Friday, 12 December.”

Putys was warned that if he was found guilty he would face a long custodial sentence as a result.

Putys made a bail application through Mrs Lewis at the hearing, but Judge Sheraton said he would be remanded into custody until the next hearing.

Putys’s partner sobbed as he was lead away to the court cells at the end of the short hearing.

A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said Putys also suffered injuries in the crash, although they were not as serious as those of the two people in the other car.

Following the crash the road was closed for several hours to allow investigations to take place, and for the wreckage to be cleared away, which caused long traffic delays in the city.

Police investigating the incident are still appealing for witnesses to come forward.

They want witnesses to help their investigation to allow them to piece together what happened in the run up to the collision.

Anyone who saw the collision or who saw either of the vehicles involved in the crah just prior should contact Sgt Paul Tanner at the Cambridgeshire roads policing unit on 101.