UPDATED: Residents told to shut windows and doors after release of chlorine gas

Residents in a Cambridgeshire village were urged to keep their windows and doors shut after a release of chlorine gas last night, Tuesday.

Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 9:04 pm
Updated Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 8:50 am
Cambridgeshire Police

The release of chlorine gas took place at the water treatment centre on the B661 in West Perry.

As a precautionary measure Anglian Water advised anyone who lives within 1,300 metres of the site to remain indoors and close all external doors, turn off all ventilation and central heating systems and refer to the emergency instruction card issued by Anglian Water.

A spokesman for Anglian Water has this morning, Wednesday April 20, confirmed the alert is over.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said: “Everything is now back to normal for residents in Perry following the gas alarm at our Grafham Water Treatment Works.

“A leak was identified on the site and our teams worked closely with fire crews to help contain the leak.

“Our emergency procedures in partnership with the Fire and Rescue Service and the Police worked exactly as they should and at no point during the evening was there any risk to people in or around Perry.

“We would like to thank everyone for their patience while we worked to resolve the situation. We know the repeat gas alarm was annoying for some people and we are sorry for any upset or inconvenience caused.”