Sugar Way: Helicopter scrambled as woman taken ill

Residents watch as a police helicopter leaves the Sugar Way estate on Monday evening. Picture: Peterborough ET
Residents watch as a police helicopter leaves the Sugar Way estate on Monday evening. Picture: Peterborough ET
Have your say

PARAMEDICS and police were scrambled to a normally quiet estate after receiving reports that a woman had been taken ill at about 5pm on Monday (3 October).

Three ambulances and the police helicopter were rushed to Driffield Way, in the Sugar Way area of Peterborough.

Crowds gathered on the green in the street as the police helicopter descended to land and medics from Magpas the medical charity ran to a house.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 5.05pm to a female in her 40s who was not responding.

“There were reports that she was suffering head pains. She was treated by paramedics and the Helimedix team and taken by road ambulance to Addenbrooke’s Hospital.”

Crowds gathered and children came out of their houses to watch and look at the police helicopter up close.

Witnesses reported seeing three people leap from the helicopter and run towards a home.

At about 6.15pm police officers cleared the green and the helicopter prepared for take-off.

It hovered for a few minutes, low above the estate and crew inside acknowledged the gathered crowds for their co-operation.

The pilot circled around the green a couple of times before heading off to base.

But many people were left worried and speculating over who had been taken to hospital.

Simon Baker, co-owner of the Sports Lounge, in King Street, lives in the area and witnessed the helicopter’s arrival.

He said: “At about 5.15pm I saw the police helicopter come down.

“Three chaps jumped out with bright orange suits on and they ran down the street.

“It was the noise of the helicopter that alerted me to it. You can’t miss them and then everyone came out to have a look.

“It’s really bad, I hope they are okay. It is not good at all by the looks of things.”

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, heard the helicopter and came out to see what was going on.

She said: “I have only lived here about a year and it is normally really quiet, that’s part of the reason why I moved here.

“I heard the helicopter - it’s quite a distinctive noise so I knew it was the police helicopter and I thought ‘what’s going on’.

“I’m sure it was hanging around for a while before it landed.

“I don’t know who lives there but there were about three ambulances, police cars and the helicopter as well.

“I really hope they are okay.”

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said they were called to the scene by paramedics to assist the ambulance service and the Helimedix team.

Two ambulances, a fast response vehicle and an officer were dispatched to the scene along with a couple of police cars.

Doctors and paramedics from Magpas fly onboard the police helicopter in order to get to medical emergencies.