A hungry customer had an unpleasant surprise when biting into a cheese and ham wrap which contained a used finger plaster.
The Peterborough man, who wishes to remain anonymous, was finishing off the first half of his wrap from Bretton Caterers when he noticed something was amiss.
He said: “I thought, ‘that’s a bit chewy for ham’ then I took a plaster out. I was shocked.
“It’s disgusting - everytime I think about it the worse it is.”
The man was on his way home at the time and vomited soon after making it past the front door.
The wrap had come from a sandwich van distributed by Bretton Caterers of Fairweather Court, Newark Road, and when the man called up the company he was offered £25 as compensation or £40 in store credit.
The man added: “I said ‘is £25 really an offer?’ I said keep your money and I will just put it on Twitter.”
Tim Asplin, co-owner of Bretton Caterers, said a worker thought she had disposed of the plaster after taking it off.
He said: “It’s disgusting to have happened and I apologise. We are truly, truly sorry. We are really gutted.”
On the compensation offer he said: “We have never had to deal with anything like this before we so do not know what is standard procedure.”
Mr Asplin said he had googled what other food companies had done in similar circumstances and seen that they had offered vouchers.
A Peterborough City Council spokesman said: “We received a complaint about Bretton Caterers and carried out a formal visit. We have since written to the business requesting that they take additional measures when staff are wearing plasters to prevent food from becoming contaminated.”
Mr Asplin said that staff now have to notify him if they have skin-coloured plasters and that they have to replace them with a blue one and put a glove on.
Bretton Caterers has the highest food hygiene rating of five.