Peterborough hotel staff praised for care of guests after fire in middle of night
Staff at a Peterborough hotel which caught fire in the middle of the night have been praised by customers for their response.
Fire crews were called to the Premier Inn in Ham Lane, Ferry Meadows at 3.13am this morning, Friday April 22.
A fire had broken out in the bin store and spread to a covered walkway area.
The hotel was evacuated and members of staff have received praise from guests for bringing out duvets to keep people warm as they waited in the cold, many in just their pyjamas.
Jackie Smith, who was staying at the hotel said: “About 3.30am this morning, residents at the Premier Inn were woken by the fire alarm, everyone left the building in an orderly fashion, in pyjamas and other night-time attire, probably thinking it was a false alarm,
However on exiting the building, we were greeted by flames and smoke, burning the front covered walkway and bin area belonging to the Granary. Fire tenders arrived on the scene within minutes, and proceeded to douse the fire, taking some time to get it under control, but ensuring that there were no burning embers anywhere else in the roof walkway or roof area.
“The walkway was virtually destroyed.
“There was no panic or confusion, and Premier Inn staff brought out duvets for people to keep themselves warm until they were able to return to their rooms by about 4.30am,
“Unfortunately Premier Inn’s “guaranteed good night’s sleep or you money back” does not extend to fire incidents, however customers were told to register their names and Premier Inn will respond accordingly.”
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels to extinguish the fire and returned to their station by 5.40am.
The cause of the fire was accidental, by person.
The hotel is still open as usual this morning.