Peterborough revellers stayed safe on bonfire night with very few reported issues for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service.
Between 5pm on Wednesday, November 5, and 5am on Thursday, November 6, there were just three bonfire-related incidents which required firefighting action (details below). A further four calls for the Cambridgeshire area were received by Combined Fire Control in relation to bonfires, but these did not require any firefighting action and advice was given to residents.
Incidents attended included:
At 5.09pm on Thursday (5) a crew from March was called to an unattended bonfire in Wisbech Road, March. Building materials had been left to burn unattended on a construction site, located close to properties. Firefighters used hose reels to extinguish it and returned to station by 5.35pm.
At 5.58pm on Thursday (5) crews from Ely and Littleport was called to a fire in Sutton Road, Witchford. Firefighters arrived to find an out of control bonfire and used jets and hose reels to extinguish it. They returned to station by 8pm.
And at7.21pm on Thursday (5) a crew from Dogsthorpe was called to a fire in the open on land near Honeyhill, Paston Ridings. Firefighters were met with a make-shift bonfire in the park area between Honeyhill and Whitwell, which contained a mattress and large amount of plastic and rubbish.
Hose reels were used to extinguish it and the crew returned to station by 8.15pm.
Numerous bonfire and firework celebrations will continue to be held over the coming days and the Service is encouraging residents to follow their tips to staying safe:
Don’t light bonfires in unsuitable weather, particularly in windy conditions. Be aware of where the smoke is blowing.
Don’t leave bonfires unattended.
Build bonfires well clear of buildings, fences and hedges.
Never use flammable liquids to start the fire and never burn dangerous rubbish such as aerosols, paint, foam furniture, rubber tyres, batteries, etc.
Before you light the bonfire, check children and animals are not hiding inside and are a safe distance away.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service recommends going to an organised firework display instead of holding one at home. However, if you do intend to use fireworks at home:
Buy fireworks marked BS 7114, keep them in a closed box and follow the instructions.
Light at arms length using a taper, stand well back and never go back to a lit firework.
Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves as sparklers can reach temperature of up to 2,000°C.
Never give sparklers to children under five and always supervise children using them.