Peterborough man survives Mount Everest avalanche following devastating Nepal earthquake

Chris Weeks with sister Carly Yeganeh
Chris Weeks with sister Carly Yeganeh
Have your say

A Peterborough man rescued people on Mount Everest following an avalanche which killed one of his colleagues and more than a dozen other people.

Chris Weeks (33), who lives in the precincts of Peterborough Cathedral, escaped with just cuts and bruises from the avalanche which was set off by the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that has left at least 3,300 dead in Nepal and neighbouring countries.

Chris’ sister Carly Yeganeh (31) who lives in Stamford, is now hoping to welcome her brother home as he looks to make it down from Everest and to safety.

Carly had to wait three hours on Saturday morning to find out that her brother was alive having heard about the avalanche which has so far killed at least 18 people.

Carly said: “We have never felt such relief. His friend Sophie rang to say he was okay but we did not know if he was injured.

“We tried to be positive but mum was fearing the worst.

We have never felt such relief.

Carly Yeganeh

“He’s a strong person, clever and experienced, and I had faith he would be fine.

“He’s been climbing mountains for a few years.”

Chris, who was fulfilling a lifelong dream to climb Everest, was at base camp and his tent was right in the line of the avalanche when it struck.

Chris had seconds to run from his tent upon hearing the snow fall and it hitting camp.

He managed to grab his jacket and phone and run for his life to hide behind a rock but he was still buried in snow.

Having escaped serious damage, Chris then spent the following day digging people out of the snow.

However, one of his colleagues sadly passed away from his head injuries.

One member is also seriously injured and another has hypothermia.

After the avalanche struck Chris managed to make it to Gorak Shep (the former Everest base camp) where he was able to make a brief call to his family through a satellite phone there.

Carly added: “We spoke to him at about 5am our time on Sunday and he had made the decision to go down the mountain. He did not know if another avalanche was coming.

“We haven’t heard from him since then.

“We are constantly checking the news.”

Chris, who along with his sister went to The King’s School, now works at Caterpillar which manages Perkins Engines.

His Everest climb has so far raised nearly £1,000 for Great Ormond Street.

To donate, visit: Chris’ JustGiving page.