Newmarket takeaway posed a risk to public health, court told, after dead flies found in food

Food hygiene ANL-160729-150752001
Food hygiene ANL-160729-150752001
Have your say

A Newmarket takeaway has been fined more than £1,600 and ordered to pay nearly £3,000 in court costs after its director admitted seven charges of failing to comply with food safety and hygiene regulations.

Environmental health inspectors from Forest Heath District Council visited the New Shanghai Express Limited in July last year and found dead flies in the wok water and another between slices of ham in an open packet as well as mouldy chicken cubes and large bags of uncovered rice and flour.

The dirty food preparation area

The dirty food preparation area

Yiying Che who took over as company director at the takeaway in Sam Alper Court just two weeks before the inspection appeared before magistrates in Bury St Edmunds magistrates on Thursday.

Council inspectors acknowledged there had been some improvements at the takeaway between April 2015, when it was served with food hygiene improvement notices, and July 2015 when it was re-inspected.

However during the July inspection, poor hygiene practices were observed including two containers of coleslaw in a fridge which were out of date.

When interviewed Che said he had worked in the food industry for about a year before taking over the business and he believed the staff had received sufficient food hygiene training from the previous owner of the business.

He acknowledged that he had not had a proper cleaning regime in place and that he should not have left food in uncovered containers.

He did produce a certificate, acknowledged by the court, to show that his premises is now up to a level three food hygiene rating which is classed as generally satisfactory.  

Magistrates fined New Shanghai Express Limited £1,650 and ordered it to pay prosecution costs of £2,882.90 as well as a victim surcharge of £30.

Speaking after the hearing, Forest Heath’s Cllr Lance Stanbury, whose cabinet post covers environmental health, said: “As a council, we have a legal duty to check food premises to ensure their hygiene practices are up to scratch. Clearly in this case they fell a long way short of the mark. The new owner had made some improvements since the previous notice was served, but our inspectors found serious hygiene concerns which in turn posed a risk to public health. In such

circumstances we will not hesitate to prosecute in order to protect the public.”