Man suffers burns trying to tackle kitchen pan fire in Peterborough

Fire
Fire
0
Have your say

A man suffered burns following a kitchen pan fire in a Peterborough home yesterday, Monday September 7.

Crews from Dogsthorpe and Peterborough Volunteer Fire Brigade were called to a flat fire in Frederick Drive, Walton at 4.22pm.

A fire had broken out in a cooking pan filled with hot oil.

Crew Commander Nick Brown said: “When the resident realised there was a fire, he tried to pick up the pan and put it outside but in the process, suffered burns and caused hot oil to splatter on furniture, which began to smoulder.”

The resident was out of the property on the arrival of the fire service and was left in the care of the ambulance service.

Firefighters used a hose reel to extinguish smouldering furniture and positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke.

CC Brown added: “We would encourage residents to avoid filling deep pans with oil and instead find alternative ways to cook food or use specially design deep fat fryers and never leave them unattended.

“Most importantly, if a pan of oil does catch fire, do not attempt to move it outside. If you can, turn off the hob and place a damp tea towel or fire blanket over it, then get out, stay out, and dial 999 for the fire service.”

Crews returned to their stations by 5.05pm.