Lasting tribute set in stone for ‘bouncy’ Dylan

editorial image
Have your say

A headstone resembling Winnie The Pooh character Tigger will be a lasting memorial for a ‘bouncy’ five-week-old baby who died from bronchial pneumonia.

The colourful graveside tribute to Dylan Killick was bought by mum Elizabeth after she received an out-of-court settlement of £29,000 following her son’s death in December 2011.

Dylan died within days of contracting the illness despite the frantic efforts of his parents and medics to save him. An inquest into his death heard that had his condition been diagnosed earlier it could have been successfully treated with antibiotics.

Although the family were left with more questions as to why their son was not saved, they are now just pleased they can give him a lovely final resting place.

Elizabeth (27) who found the headstone on the internet, said: “He was a bouncy baby. He had that personality already. So when I found this headstone I knew that’s the one I wanted.

“It was very emotional to know he finally had a pretty resting place now.

Elizabeth Killick at the grave of her son Dylan at Fletton cemetery EMN-151215-160150009

Elizabeth Killick at the grave of her son Dylan at Fletton cemetery EMN-151215-160150009

“They say it gets easier. The pain doesn’t get easier but you learn how to deal with it.

“I’ve got my children so they help me along and I’ve got a good family.”

The headstone cost £3,500 and was erected in Fletton Cemetery at the start of month, and Elizabeth’s other four children Daisy (7), Poppy (5), Dylan’s twin-sister Rosey (4) and Riley (2) have all been able to visit their brother’s grave.

Dylan’s grandmother Iris Killick (64) added: “It took five months to make it as it had to be made from scratch. Dylan’s is a unique design. It looks absolutely gorgeous.”

The Killick family sued Dr MJ Mehta - the GP who had seen Dylan just before his death - and received £29,000 in compensation.

Following the inquest into Dylan’s death in April 2012, Coroner Gordon Ryall recorded a verdict of death by natural causes but said that medics involved in Dylan’s care would feel that “an opportunity to treat him had been lost.”