Normal service resuming at Peterborough City Hospital after severe flooding

Peterborough City Hospital, Bretton. Photo: Peterborough Telegraph
Peterborough City Hospital, Bretton. Photo: Peterborough Telegraph
Have your say

Normal service is resuming at Peterborough City Hospital after operations were cancelled due to severe flooding.

Twenty-two operations did not go ahead on Friday morning (February 13) after a water pipe burst around 4pm the previous afternoon.

Ceiling tiles came down and water leaked into operating theatres on the first floor of the hospital in Bretton, causing puddles.

Water also leaked into the Emergency Department on the ground floor but it is now seeing patients as normal.

The theatres have now been cleaned up with the hospital back to running a full list of operations in the afternoon.

The hospital had been able to carry out urgent operations and run a reduced service whilst the flooding was being cleared up.

All people who were due to have operations had been notified of the cancellations.

Two of the hospital’s 18 operating theatres had been affected by the burst pipe.

Engineers are currently investigating why the pipe burst.

The hospital is run by the Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

John Randall, medical director at the Trust, said: “As a result of this incident, scheduled surgery on Friday morning was cancelled for safety reasons, but we were able to go ahead with our lists for the afternoon.

“We would like to apologise to those patients who have been affected.

“Throughout the incident we were able to carry out emergency operations as we still had some theatres available.

“I am pleased to report that we will be able to return to normal operating schedules from tomorrow (Saturday February 14). Patients booked for planned operations from Monday will not be affected.

“On behalf of the Trust board, I would like to thank our staff in theatres, the Emergency Department and all other involved areas, as well as our PFI partners, who all worked incredibly hard through the night on Thursday to keep disruption to our patients to a minimum.”