Parents hoping for a cheap Christmas should think again if the results of Queensgate Shopping Centre’s toy testing event are anything to go by.
If you really want to keep your child happy on Christmas Day then you need to fork out £320 for the new Nintendo Switch console with Mario Kart - or at least that’s according to the top 10 compiled by children on a visit to the shopping centre over the weekend.
Argos, John Lewis, Game, Tiger, Menkind and M&S all took part in the free event offering toys for children to play with,
And in total 235 testers and their parents completed Santa’s score sheet, with more than 1,880 marks cast for 30 different toys. And the verdict was a big thumbs up for the Nintendo console from Game, followed by a £20 Remote Controlled Tarantula from Tiger and a £40 Cars 3 Lightning McQueen Remote Controlled Car from Argos.
The rest of the top 10 all cost £30 or less, apart from the micro mini scooter from John Lewis which will cost £80.
Interim marketing manager at Queensgate, Alice Watkinson, said: “We’re really pleased with the toy testing event and the feedback we have had so far.
“This was a great chance for our retailers to bring out their best toys for the year, show them in action and let the children decide what they really want for Christmas.
“It’s good to see a mix of traditional and tech toys in the top 10 plus a good range of prices for all of our shoppers.”
The top 10
1. Nintendo Switch console with Mario Kart – Game (£319.99)
2. Remote Controlled Tarantula – Tiger (£20) & John Lewis (£25)
3. Cars 3 Lightning McQueen Remote Controlled Car – Argos (£39.99)
4. Black Mercedes remote controlled car – Tiger (£30)
5. Cry Babies ‘Bonnie’ – Argos (£29.99)
6. Lamborghini remote controlled car – Menkind (£24.99)
7. Micro mini scooter – John Lewis (£79.99)
8. Floor Piano – John Lewis (£30)
9. Mini Cooper remote controlled car – Marks and Spencer (£25)
10. Pre-school: Tots Town Train Set – Argos (£29.99)