Family left homeless after blaze destroys house

The house fire at Brynemore EMN-160415-145928009
The house fire at Brynemore EMN-160415-145928009
0
Have your say

A Peterborough family has been left homeless after a fire gutted their home.

The fire started at 5.15pm last night in Brynmore, Bretton.

The fire at the home

The fire at the home

Crews from Dogsthorpe and Stanground were first sent to the well developed fire in a three storey house.

They immediately requested further support and the Peterborough Volunteers, Whittlesey and Huntingdon were sent, soon followed by Market Deeping and Crowland from Lincolnshire, when the fire spread to the adjoining house’s roof.

In total around 30 firefighters attended the fire.

A woman and three children had evacuated the house before crews arrived but were concerned about their pet dog. An hour into the incident, firefighters tackling the fire from inside the house found the dog alive and well taking cover in a kitchen cupboard. The dog was reunited with the family who were overjoyed.

The scene at the house fire in Bretton last night

The scene at the house fire in Bretton last night

Station Commander Lynn Betteridge, the officer in charge of the incident, said: “This was a challenging fire for us to tackle due to limited access to the property and a large amount of combustible material inside the house. Sadly all floors of the house have been severely damaged by the fire, but firefighters did well to prevent the fire spreading further than the roof in the neighbouring house.

“The Red Cross victim support vehicle attended to support the family who luckily all managed to get out of the house after the fire started.”

It is believed the fire started accidentally when a lit incense stick fell into a basket.

Lynn added: “This fire shows the very serious consequences anything with a naked flame can have if safety measures are not put in place. Candles and incense sticks or cones can create a homely atmosphere but need to be used with great care. Always use a heat resistant holder or plate, keep away from draughts and never leave unattended.”

UPDATE: Donations come in for ‘shocked’ mum of eight who lost everything in Peterborough house fire as friend calls for further help